Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Howdy

I'm interested in becoming a web designer. A few questions:

ideally i would like to leave college and get a 'higher apprenticeship' in web design, is this likely to lead to a good career, is it worth it? Would a University degree be better in the long run?

Also is the web design industry popular at the moment? Is it hard to get into?

replies would be great, cheers

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I did some research on jobs for Web design career. I find that school isn't a bad thing, but employers look for experience, and what you could do. For most jobs, ASP.NET is almost a must.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I certainly agree that experience is more valuable than education in this field. That's not to say that education is useless, but the experience counts for more if you're going into an interview.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Experience is, in my opinion (which might be highly biased because I'm 16 and have no professional training what-so-ever) much, much more important than education.

I think what counts most is your client understanding ability, knowledge, and portfolio. The first gives you the ability to communicate with your client, ensuring a result he is satisfied with. The second gives you the ability to do what you need to do, effectively and efficiently. The third gives you the ability to show what you've done in the past, which encompasses the first two because you can show that you already have satisfied clients and you can do good work.

Education mostly produces the second, while social abilities are key for the first, and experience brings you all three.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hmmm ... didn't we answer like a bunch of these last week?!

*scuttles off to look for the "said" threads*

*heard from the echoes of the Starting Out forum*

Found them!!! :laugh:

*scuttles back with a few link*

Young Entrepreneur with ??'s
    Difference between a diploma or certificate for Web Design????
    How to create a website and make money from it?

Pretty much alot of the same info you'll find everywhere ... EXPERIENCE is worth more than a degree or certificate
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Ok, cheers for the replies

Yeah experience is obviously the best on your CV, for most jobs really. I was interested to know if there is any other route other than University and whether its worth it

Member #
    EDIT: Is this an American forum? If so i might have to look somewhere else lol

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    No ... there's people from everywhere here
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Im also going to be a web designer. I'm 17 and about to start school at Devry University this summer. I'm pretty experienced with web design and online advertising, and very excited to learn more, and start my own business here in Colorado.
    Jeff S.

Remove Ads