Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Here is a question, there are three primary operating systems out right now Linux, MAC OS, Windows. Now of the three, there are many versions in a nut shell:
    Linux - Debian, Red hat, Fedora, Linspire etc...
    Windows - 98, ME, XP (home, pro, media), Vista (countless versions)
    MAC - mac os, etc...
    now of all these i have found the following:
    mac - no control, all point and click so that to administer you need to go through countless windows of limited control, however it is nice looking, stable, and secure from the perspective of a hacker, and the un-educated home user that may tinker unknowingly with a system setting

Windows - this is one of those centre of the road operating systems for control, it provides you with DOS, and the run command (up to windows XP) but the interface is not as attractive (especially with windows me and below) XP was ok, and vista is nice but at the cost of system performance. The security of windows, is well not there and therefore you are opening your computer to the world so it costs hundreds to secure it the biggest problem with Windows is that it is sloppy coding, and put out before proper testing can be done. When it was written it as done so for money, and not for just doing it. For security though claimed high Vista allows techs (or people posing as techs) to inspect your computer for illegal software and downloads and delete them at will also windows is net dependent

Linux - linux is one of the most complex operating systems that is commonly used. Well powerful and flexable allowing a text only interface, and hundreds of tools, most users don't know how to use it and the un-educated user could easily mess it up. However it is a super secure FREE in most cases and multi-usefull operating system the downfall, only some applications run on it.

So what do you people think is the best operating system, do you know of any details I have missed, or any operating systems (for example unix and solaris i have never used so they are not included)
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Your views of Mac OS X are severely mistaken. You have a great deal of control over the system, especially through the terminal as you're really running a variant of BSD.

Actually now that I read your entire post, most of your views are misguided.
    • Windows is not necessarily coded poorly, but with hundreds of millions of lines of code, problems are bound to happen. Windows is, in fact, frequently delayed in shipping specifically so they can test the product. Every business exists for the purpose of making money, including Microsoft. Microsoft isn't going to just make a new version of Windows out of spite or the thought of "let's make a great product."
    • I would dare to say Linux can run more applications than Windows and Mac OS X combined.

If I could run Mac OS X on cheap PC hardware without hacking it up, I would. My home server is running Linux (SuSE Linux 10.1) and while I'll agree with you it's still nowhere near close to being friendly for home users and day-to-day usage as a desktop environment, I like it much more over Windows Server which was on the system for a while.

Microsoft is not in the business of scanning your system for "illegal" software and then just deleting it. All Microsoft will do, at the most, is verify that your version of Windows and some other Microsoft products are legitimate, and if they are, you have nothing to worry about.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    For the time being, I think the 'average user' will always end up with a Windows operating system. Microsoft's dominance means that suppliers will ship with Windows.

I'd say from a technical point of view Linux is superior.

Member #
    Find me an alternative that's better than .NET on some other OS and I'll favor that OS over Windows. But probably not until then.

Aside from that, I'm not really an OS nay-sayer. There's this guy at school who is trying to do away with Windows on all his machines this summer. But I'll take what I can get just because I love computers and programming. I like all the operating systems that I've used (XP Pro, Mac OSX, Xubuntu/Ubuntu), so I'm waiting until I can get an Apple and dual-boot. Or triple-boot, even, though I don't know how often I'd use Linux.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Better than .NET... The API, or the CLR, or what? API-wise, Java's at least as complete and probably has more tools for it (I won't mention Perl, but you know...). In terms of the CLR, Mono is an open-source, multiplatform implementation of the CLR. In terms of programming languages, Ruby kicks Java, C#, and company up and down the street in my opinion, but will soon be running on the CLR and the JVM, too, so it doesn't really matter. So what is it about .NET that makes it unique? The UI toolkit/API? Qt was better for many years before .NET, and is still better in my opinion (and there are now official bindings for Java! Yay!). .NET's nice, but let's not buy into the annoying hype that MS has been putting into it. That's about as bad as buying into the Java hype.

Language wars aside, though...

Linux tends towards being technically superior, because they tend to have the freedom to try out new things. KDE 4, for example, will be toying with a bunch of concepts that are beyond what most OSes do nowadays. KDE 3 already had a vast technical superiority to other environments due to KIOSlaves and the DCOP IPC protocol (now superseded by DBUS, which is not KDE-specific).

Anyway, the real issue with Linux is indeed user-friendliness, but it's slowly (and steadily) getting better, pushed forward in large part, most recently, by the (K)Ubuntu world. OS X, as filburt pointed out, runs a BSD variant (a microkernel based on the Mach microkernel, as I recall), and therefore most Unix tools are available on it (including one of the mainstays of Unix editors, [minicode]vim[/minicode]), which means that, while you can configure it through UIs and such, you don't necessarily have to.

The "best" OS depends on your needs. I run Linux on a day-to-day basis, and now find myself frustrated whenever I'm on a Windows box. Less so on a Mac, but I still find it annoying sometimes (mostly because of the slightly different keyboard layout and related shortcuts).

Remove Ads