Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: World = over

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I'm going to install Linux on my desktop. Ubuntu, specifically, since it's so popular and I want to belong.

My computer's just too freaking slow now. Coupled with the fact I broke Eclipse somehow and there are Linux equivalents for most--but not all--of the programs I use, I'm going to dual boot between it and Vista Business.

I'm 100% happy with Linux on my server, but Linux on my desktops or laptops has always ended in tears. I hope this is finally the time when it all works out and I stay in Linux for most of the time.

Wish me luck.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you're willing to put a little work into it, I've found running only Linux isn't a problem at all. As it is right now, I haven't booted into Windows since January, when my first Systems and Networks project required me to use a Windows-only application called LogicWorks. In the meantime, I've been using Linux on my home desktop and on all the College of Computing computers I've used. I basically only ran into Windows at my parents' place, and now that I've put Kubuntu Feisty on here, I've largely been using only Linux here, too.

Once I start work, of course, I'll likely spend some time in Windows, which will be mildly annoying. Nonetheless, I'm sure I'll live

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's already not going well. It isn't recognizing (automatically, I'm trying another solution) my motherboard's onboard RAID controller which has a RAID 0 volume set up, which is where I install OSs.

On the plus side, it does things that Windows still doesn't do, like detect my onboard NIC without any problems.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    (I'm posting this within Ubuntu, BTW. Just using the install CD, though.)

ljm
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My affairs with Linux generally haven't been the best. I used Xubuntu for a while before my PC gave up, but realised that I could barely install anything because of the dependencies they had. I'd install them all, but still, there'd be errors. Then some things would require terminal use, and the bash commands wouldn't work. Silly.

I'd be willing to try the new Ubuntu (7.1 is it?), since it looks like a lot of things have been sorted out and improved, like wireless access on my Macbook. Then there's those programs you can mess about with, like Metisse and Compiz.

I wouldn't have much other practical uses when OSX does everything I want, but it's always good to have a mess about in something new. I've yet to do likewise with Vista.

Good luck with it all anyway; I believe the new Ubuntu is the start of a time where Linux is a lot more accessible and user friendly.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, every version of Ubuntu so far has brought significant improvements in the `user experience'. Then again, with OS X, you already have a solid UNIX variant, so the reasons for using Linux are substantially lower, since you can already do and learn many of the things you can in Linux, in OS X proper.

filburt -- yeah, I can see the default installs not necessarily being configured for RAID and such, considering that Ubuntu seems to generally be oriented towards newer users of Linux. So it'll probably take a little more effort. Never tried their forums, but the Gentoo ones are very helpful in general, so Ubuntu's probably aren't bad either, in terms of asking questions. Or, a more immediate and typically better way of getting help (at least with Gentoo) is firing up an IRC client and heading to the distro's channel to ask the question.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    7.04 is what I downloaded last night.

The RAID on my system completely maxes out my hard drive performance rating in Vista, but it's always such a bitch to get it working, no matter what OS I install. I had to slipstream an XP CD just to get that installed, and Vista was even more annoying.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Sigh.
    • Ubuntu is horribly buggy. I wouldn't mind if it told me why things lock up when they do, but no. Even stupid things happen like I can't enable Compiz/Beryl if I'm running dual monitors.
    • openSUSE dies trying to detect my IDE configuration. I've already broken the RAID array and turned off the controller so they're just individual drives now, and it still won't even get to the first step of the actual installer.
    • Debian doesn't get any farther than asking for my language/keyboard/etc. It takes about 5 minutes for it to detect hardware, 4:50 of which is it just sitting there at 0%.

I'm downloading FreeBSD now and am looking for other distros of Linux as well.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Your computer sounds like it's a bit of work to set up. I'd suggest Gentoo, as it's very very customizable, and that seems to be what you need.

EDIT: It also seems weird that it locks up with dual monitors. What kind of graphics card do you have? Beryl's always worked fine until it crashes with two monitors for me (I say `until it crashes' because, being unstable software, crash it does).

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Geforce 6800.

But, as my user-agent will now attest to, I've installed XP. FreeBSD didn't work (easily) with X.

My hardware may be custom, but damn, it worked on my laptops more reliably than this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads