Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I just bought a new domain and hosting account today (IX Web Hosting). I set up an email alias for my new domain through the control panel of my host. I wanted to set it up so i can access the email address through Outlook, for the most part that went fine. Although, I seem to be receiving mail just fine in Outlook, I cannot send because it says it cannot find the SMTP server. I have triple checked that I typed in the server address correctly, i copied and pasted it right off the page (it is the same as the POP3 address, which i found odd but I don't know much about these things). Just wondering if anyone has suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    can you ping the SMTP server? You may want to talk to the hosting company for support. Who knows, their server may just be down.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    And if you just got the account today, the DNS may not have propagated yet. You might have to wait (usually I think the wait time is ~24 hours or so, max). Propagation typically takes a fair bit less, but if you can't get it within 24 hours, it's worth asking about. Can you go to your site normally?

EDIT: Also, double-check to make sure that you're using the appropriate authentication mechanism and the correct ports in your SMTP configuration. These can also throw things off.

Member #
    And some ISPs use nonstandard ports (e.g. gmail is 425)

Remove Ads