Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    As some of you seasoned veterans of this forum knows, I'm a travelling man.
    I recently broke my Lifebook (expensive laptop), the screen got punctured and it's outside insurance coverage.

I want to buy a new one, and I checked Dell.
    I came across a model that has the following rough specs:
    • Brain: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-prosessor T7400 (2,16 GHz, 4 MB L2-buffer, 667 MHz system bus
    • Memory: 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    • Graphics: 512 MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX
    • HDD: 160 GB (7200 rpm) SATA
    • Bluetooth: Dell 355 wireless Bluetooth 2.0-module (up to 3Mbps) with Enhanced Data Rate, for Vista
    • Battery: 9-cell litiumion battery (80 W/t)
    • Display: 17" UltraSharp Wide Screen WUXGA (1920 x 1200) Display with TrueLife®

The price converted from Norwegian currency is $ 3700,-

-------

Is that hilllariously more expensive than a similar computer could be bought for in the US, or is that pretty close to market value?
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That sounded ridiculous, but then I saw the 17" screen part. Still sounds a bit high, but I haven't looked at what seems to be basically a desktop replacement. Also, big, fast hard drives for notebooks are really expensive. So maybe it makes sense. Or maybe this post is just useless as it's me saying how I have no idea :-D

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's pretty maxed out, especially the video which is probaby $600 alone. The screen (resolution) kicks ***. It's expensive but you're getting a lot.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    No, not at all!

When it comes to different hardware gearing up the price, I'm as lost as you.

I don't know wether I'll need a screen like that or not, but maybe that matches the graphics card?

I use the machine mainly for photo manipulations, some video editing, a lot of surfing/communications, and 20% gaming (the second best past time apart from books, which I read a heapload of)

I do, however, want a fast mathematical processor, for reasons mentioned above, and other semi graphical calculations. The multitasking thing is important.

So in essence, if I skip the graphics "Rolls Royce", but still need the 2GB RAM and a fast multitask processor, what is the equivalent US price?

(Don't forget to check the price of the config I submitted, as I have ways of buying that in the states, and getting it shipped here for free).
    I would loose out on the warranty part though, if I choose that path.

EDIT:
    The above post was to Shadowfiends reply.
    Do you think I should scale down on the graphics Filburt, or is that at all possible within Dell's product range (in the US as well).
    S. Rosland

Member #
    The price is, BTW, not a big issue.

My main point is buying a machine that corresponds to market value worldwide. I.e, if the same config is substantially cheaper in the US, then I'll get a collegue to buy it for me. If, however, the price is pretty much market value, then I'll buy it here.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Another BTW,
    I can't check US prices through the web here.

There's nothing called "dell.com, dell.us, etc". Whatever I write in the URL, I'm transferred to Dell.no!

That's the reason for asking!

------

PS
    I'm going snowmobiling on "the North Pole" tomorrow (Svalbard/Spitsbergen). It's as close as you can get to the North Pole, without beeing on drift ice. There are a heapload of polar bears there, so you're not allowed to travel without a rifle or a big revolver.

I'll see if I can't post a few pictures after tomorrow.
    BTW, Norways constitutional day is the day after tomorrow (17th of may), I'll still be in the arctic then!
    :classic::classic:
    S. Rosland

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I checked it out, and I'm currently getting $3606, and based on what parts you've selected, the price seems right, albeit expensive as hell.

Check the price through company discounts. NOTE: check the price w/ and w/o a full 4 year warranty! The higher warranty gets you a bigger discount, which often overall lowers the price. in otherwords, a system + 4 year warranty can cost less than the same system w/ the standard warranty.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    unreal, that spec is amost identical to a laptop my company is trying to sell!

can't offer advise about the currency thang but in the UK (where I'm based) we are selling the similar laptop for £750 but retails at about £1300.

I use it in the work and it brill really good machine so would reccomend it.

ps: I'm not trying to sell the computer from my work

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Karloff
    unreal, that spec is amost identical to a laptop my company is trying to sell!

can't offer advise about the currency thang but in the UK (where I'm based) we are selling the similar laptop for £750 but retails at about £1300.
    ...that spec is "almost"...
    What do you mean by almost? Is it the same, or if not, what is lacking?
    Furthermore (and more important), what is the name of your computer? Is that available in Norway? Can I order it online?
    You're a bit vague.

Quote Originally Posted by rosland
    PS
    I'm going snowmobiling on "the North Pole" tomorrow (Svalbard/Spitsbergen). It's as close as you can get to the North Pole, without beeing on drift ice. There are a heapload of polar bears there, so you're not allowed to travel without a rifle or a big revolver.

I'll see if I can't post a few pictures after tomorrow.
    BTW, Norways constitutional day is the day after tomorrow (17th of may), I'll still be in the arctic then!
    :classic::classic:
    FANTASTIC trip today (16th may), drove 110 miles on glaciers and thawing lakes/river deltas, and had the most intense wildlife experience of my life!
    We also saw polar bears, unfortunately I don't have any photos of them, as I was using my cell phone, and the zoom isn't the best.
    I'm writing this at 0100 in the morning, and the arctic light is the same as it was 9 hours ago. The sun stays up all the time now in the summer months. It just dips and rises again high in the sky. At its lowest, it's still 20 degrees above the horizon (which translates to full daylight all the time).

We drove to Barentsburg, which is the former prestigous Soviet Union coal mining town on Spitsbergen (Svalbard).
    It is, as much of old russias industry, filthy and obnoxious. You could smell the sulphur in the air 20 miles before you hit the town. It's a major contrast to the absolutely gorgeous landscape of the extreme arctic. The Norwegian settlement (city of Longyear, named after the american who first started commercial coal mining grand scale here), is an extremely high tech community, with the latest in architecture and technology. The international university is located here.
    The contrast between these two settlements are mind blowing. Barentsburg used to be the frontrunner of Soviet propaganda during the cold war. Mine workers were paid ten fold what the equivalent job paid in russia (during the cold war), but now it's a skeleton town.

I could go on and on, but I'll make it short.

Attached are some photos. During summer, you are not allowed to even walk inland from the coastline, this is due to the extreme delicasy of the arctic fauna. A footprint stays a footprint for more than 50 years here. In the winter, however, you're allowed to drive wherever you like on a snowmobile. The only problem is that winter here is totally dark day and night. It's only now (in early spring), that the midnight sun is ever present and the snow is still covering the majority of the island (Which BTW is huge). When thawing sets in, you're not allowed to venture out.

The snowmobiles I arranged are GT models. They are all formula one engines (200 BHP) and will throw you off in a second if you don't pay attention. I've had 7 big bikes in my lifetime. Even the R-models of close to 200 bhp can't compete with the acceleration of these snowmobiles!!

It was absolutely hillarious to drive these.

I managed to blow the top gasket of my snowmobile as we were leaving Barentsburg, and we had to continue the trip back two on one, on one of the other performance monsters. Fortunately, I had a hot+ stewardess on my backseat, as she preferred I drove (even though I blew my engine apart moments earlier).

We left the snowmobile on the roadside with the ignition key inside, as this is how things work up here!
    ---
    Karloff, don't forget to tell me the brand of your "close to similar specs" computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    S. Rosland

Member #
    BTW, Longyear is 81 degrees north lattitude, and the second last landmass before you hit the pole. Only Jan Mayen is further north, but that is a small island. This is a huge landmass!

Forgot to say, the first image is when entering Barentsburg. You can see the smoke from their coal fuled powerplant.

The second is just after we left Longyear, on our way up the glacier. The picture doesn't give the gradient credit. It's extremely steep, and we were only about one third to the top when the photo was shot.

The photos are a bit dark and flat, they're from my cell phone
    (and even though only five are shown here, I took almost 200!)
    S. Rosland

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads