Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm curious about the Root nameservers. They look like all the entire web is sitting on... Although 6 of these are physically more than one, I'm wondering if a well-organized attack on them could take down the entire net. I'd imagine if the whole internet became unavailable for just one hour, the chaos that follows would be absolutely terrifying.

Is such a threat possible (in means that it's relatively possible - I know in theory it's possible)? How about direct physical attacks (bombing, etc)?
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Actually, thirteen logical nameservers, but more than thirteen physical ones. And their website: http://www.root-servers.org/ . That website, to me, embodies badass. `Styles? Nah, we don't need 'em. We run the Internets, buddy.' :-P

But yes, it's all the internet sits on, yes, a well-organized attack could take down the entire net, and yes, it's theoretically possible. Actually possible? I can't say for sure. There was an attack a few years ago that took down nine of the 13, though. It also bears mentioning that there are alternate root servers, as also mentioned in that wikipedia article, several of which basically mirror the ICANN setup. Probably handy to keep some IPs around for those, as I believe you can directly query any one of them (I seem to recall having used the Open Root Server ones at one point or another out of curiosity).

Member #
    For some reason my insides go tingling when I imagine that the welfare of the internet I rely on so much each day all sit on top of these lonely servers, in which a well-placed attack could take them down.

And on the same topic - I find it hard to believe that there isn't some organization working to create some alternative internet system out there.

About the rootserver website - haha, it burns, dude! It's pretty semantic, though - they've set a fairly good example (would it not be for the missing DOCTYPE).
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The lack of DOCTYPE would be the folks over there going `standard HTML? Nah, we don't need it. We run the Internets, buddy.' :-D

My insides always go tingling when I sit down and actually think about the server hardware that runs every site, and how it's all marvelously coordinated by these awesome protocols and everything. It's a real achievement.

Member #
    Uh-uh. At least we've gotta expect something made it alright through the creation of the modern web. Those protocols were handled by the pros, anyway. Some things didn't make it through as well as we'd currently want them (mostly because the creators never imagined it). Look at HTML, for example. Ouchie.

(Although I personally wouldn't take web design any other way than the nice, hardcore, not-so-guaranteed coding approach).

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hell, look at TCP/IP :-P Kickass protocol, but nowadays it's a tad too slow. Or IP itself. Yay IPv6, too bad nobody's using it :-/ On the other hand, I hear IPv4 tunneling through IPv6 servers is an absolutely awesome bit of genius.

Remove Ads