Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bike

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I have a growing interest in getting a bike (motorcycle). The fun, fuel efficiency, parking, etc. all appeal to me, and it's cheaper in a way than a new car (you can't use it all the time, but the car also isn't used as often so it has less wear).

I know nothing about bikes. Pretty much all I've ridden is a scooter, and I do know how to drive a stick shift car, so the transition to a bike's shifter shouldn't be completely foreign to me. I do know:
    • I don't want to spend a lot.
    • I don't need a lot of power, but I also don't want some wuss bike.
    • I don't want something like a Harley or a cruiser like that, and I especially don't want something with obscenely loud exhaust. I want something more like a crotch rocket, or at least crotch low-speed projectile. The bike is to make me happy and not to **** off others.
    • I'm not fully aware of the bike laws in Maryland. I do know at least two people who may be willing to teach me to ride, though.
    • This is years away from happening, if ever.

So, raise my interest. Any answers and suggestions, or price ranges I should expect?
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    You could look into motorcycle lessons (they have them, similar to driving schools).
    At least they do in WA state.
    You use their bikes, get your MC license. My brother-in-law did that before he went out and bought a bike.

Go to your states DOL (Department of Licensing) website and look up the info on what is required, the laws, etc.

Used MC's are pretty cheap. I see them for sale all of the time and I know they are inexpensive when it comes to repairs as well........another good factor.
    Try taking a car that needs repairs into a shop and coming out without paying a lot.
    Just go to a MC store and ask them the questions you have.

Harley's are for purists. They usually love their bike more than people, so don't feel like you have to go that route.
    GMan

Member #
    If you are still looking at at getting into bikes go for something like a kawasaki / suzuki or honda sports tourer, they have a fair ammount of power but wont't be too much to handle like the super sports range.
    I have had a number of sports bikes and found the suzuki range very good value for money but their supersports gsxr1000 can be a real devil.
    Honda are extremely good for reliability and perfomance including the Fireblade which is a more tame litre bike.
    http://www.suzuki.com
    http://www.honda.com
    http://www.kawasaki.com

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leighton
    Fireblade
    I think you ought to get a slightly slower bike to get the feel before you get in trouble on a bike like this.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Suzuki SV650 is the best starter bike you'll find, hands down. It's got more power than you'll grow out of for a long time, and you can get a slightly used one for $2-3k.

It's also significantly less to insure than typical sport bikes, cause it's a V-Twin with a "standard" stance.

If you're serious about biking, you should take an MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course. It'll teach you the basics and safety procedures, and will also lower your insurance if and when you decide to go for it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by transio
    Suzuki SV650 is the best starter bike you'll find, hands down
    Depends on the type of riding you would be doing. I have had an Suzuki SV1000 before and found them quite unstable when riding at the limits of the Highways / Motorways. Especially in slightly windy conditions.
    The lower 600 sports range are an excellent starter bike if you don't mind the slightly higher insurance. They look good and have a decent ammount of power to get out of trouble.
    Something like a Suzuki gsxr600 is a good option with second hand models priced quite reasonably.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Depends on the type of riding you would be doing.
    Well, since I said "starter bike", one would assume I didn't mean racing it.

I have had an Suzuki SV1000 before
    Different bike. It's larger and heavier. The 650 is very stable and controllable.

The lower 600 sports range are an excellent...
    ... way for a new rider to become an organ donor. Thus the high insurance rate.

Sport bikes, especially small ones, are way too twitchy for a new rider.

PS - The insurance difference isn't "slight". A sport bike costs roughly 500% as much as a standard to insure.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Ducati Monster

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Transio
    Well, since I said "starter bike", one would assume I didn't mean racing it
    By riding i meant local around town and country lanes or motorway/highway.

Different bike. It's larger and heavier. The 650 is very stable and controllable.
    There is only slight differences in the 1000 and 650 apart from the obvious power increase so i cant see how the lower weight of a 650 can make it a very stable bike. Possibly around town it is fine but on the motorways your gonna be risking a lovely tank slapper.

Sport bikes, especially small ones, are way too twitchy for a new rider.
    True. They are slightly twitchy, depends which manufacturer you go for. I started on a GSXR600 and had no problems or accidents and most of all had plenty of fun on it which i think is what motorcycling is all about.

A sport bike costs roughly 500% as much as a standard to insure.
    Not sure where the 500% figure comes from but the difference it cost me to insure a fireblade after having an sv1000 was around 400 (around a 30% increase in premium).
    This was with only a few years NCD and riding experience

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Not sure where the 500% figure comes from but the difference it cost me to insure a fireblade after having an sv1000 was around 400 (around a 30% increase in premium).
    This was with only a few years NCD and riding experience
    Well you're in the UK. In the US, I got the following quotes from the same insurance company:

$4000/yr for a GSXR 750
    $1000/yr for an SV 1000s, and
    $600/yr for a Honda Rune.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads