Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    So it seems I'm getting an iPhone, related to work (I'm doing a weekend project). There's no way I want to get into a two-year service contract with AT&T for $60/month (in reality more than that after taxes and such). However, I want generally similar features without being screwed by AT&T or another provider.

AT&T's plan is: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...ans_nation.gif
    • 450 minutes a month with rollover (unused minutes can be allocated to next month's limit); 5000 night/weekend minutes
    • "Unlimited" data per month
    • Visual Voicemail, which is exclusive to the iPhone and AT&T so no other provider will offer it anyway
    • "Unlimited" minutes between other AT&T users
    • 200 text messages included

...plus the obligitory and obvious caller ID, three-way calling, etc.

What I really need is:
    • About 400 minutes per month, or perhaps 300 with 100 or more night/weekend minutes
    • Still need the "unlimited" data
    • A decent number of text messages (200 is probably fine)

I don't give a crap about picture/video messaging (iPhone can't do it anyway) or other value-added features. I just want the ability to talk (easy) and to use an EDGE network to use the web browser and e-mail client on the iPhone (much harder to find).

So, anybody know of a GSM provider serving MD that offers a plan like that, either pre-paid (monthly) or if necessary, an evil two-year contract? The only other major provider I know of is T-Mobile for GSM. Right now I have Verizon, and the iPhone is GSM whereas Verizon is CDMA and therefore incompatible.

Also, I keep seeing plans for things like Blackberries where there are no minutes, but unlimited data. When they talk about data in this context without mentioning EDGE, can I still assume it's EDGE and therefore compatible with the iPhone?
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    My boss is an apple head, and I think he or our admin said that visual voicemail was going to be on other phones / networks within 6 months, could be wrong.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    That's cool. I do believe the iPhone will be unlocked in a week or two as well. I know as soon as I get it, I'm going to (1) activate it without service so I can use it as an iPod and Wifi browser, and (2) refresh the iPhone Dev Wiki (http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page) even more than I'm doing now.

They apparently already know how to unlock it, but the issue is sending the command to the proper component in the phone. Even though it's been out a whole eight days, the iPhone has been hacked to pieces. I like, I like.

But in the meantime, what GSM provider should I use for data/voice/text?
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads