Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    ...by putting Linux on it. Ubuntu, specifically. Now it dual-boots between Ubuntu 7.04 and XP.

This weekend, we switched our workflow from shared local copies of a site and FTP synchronization to our own working copies of sites (i.e., your own set of files and your own virtual domain for testing) and SVN for both live and dev synchronization. I figured, what the hell, I'll change my own workflow and put Ubuntu on my desktop.

It's working astonishingly well. It was a tradegy on my (personal) desktop and laptop for various hardware reasons, but at work, the only bit of hardware I had to configure by hand was my dual-monitor configuration, and that was relatively simple. Hell, I was even able to connect to a SMB share with movies on it and start playing Office Space without anything other than letting it download the codecs automatically. My Windows desktops can't do that unless I install something like K-Lite Codec Pack.

I did have to install lots of dev packages, though, in order to compile other things from source like pidgin.

So, now I have:
    • Firefox
    • Opera, when I get around to configuring it
    • Evolution instead of Outlook
    • The built-in SSH client instead of PuTTy
    • Pidgin instead of Trillian
    • Eclipse with PDT and shortly <oXygen/>, again, and to completely replace Dreamweaver as well
    • Automagically-mounted SMB shares for all my work--we work completely off fileshares and not locally

What I still need to get working, and some thoughts would be good:
    • A good graphical FTP client for whenever I need and it don't want to use the command line; I use SmartFTP on Windows.
    • Photoshop CS2. No GIMP. No earlier version of Photoshop because the slice features are by far the best in CS2.
    • MySQL and PostgreSQL management tools. On Windows, we have licenses for SQL Manager for PostgreSQL and MySQL. I see references to Linux versions of those products but can't actually find it to download. Recommendations for alternatives anyway?
    • Installing the network printer; I just haven't tried yet.
    • Internet Explorer, preferably both 6 and 7. It's not for me to use as a browser but as a tester when I need to check pages in IE.
    • Dammit, my mouse back/forward buttons don't do anything--it's a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse (8000 or something, but I think it's emulating USB instead of actually working over Bluetooth). Simple method of fixing those buttons?

So, suggestions for the above?
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    What I still need to get working, and some thoughts would be good:
    • A good graphical FTP client for whenever I need and it don't want to use the command line; I use SmartFTP on Windows.
    • Photoshop CS2. No GIMP. No earlier version of Photoshop because the slice features are by far the best in CS2.
    • MySQL and PostgreSQL management tools. On Windows, we have licenses for SQL Manager for PostgreSQL and MySQL. I see references to Linux versions of those products but can't actually find it to download. Recommendations for alternatives anyway?
    • Installing the network printer; I just haven't tried yet.
    • Internet Explorer, preferably both 6 and 7. It's not for me to use as a browser but as a tester when I need to check pages in IE.
    • Dammit, my mouse back/forward buttons don't do anything--it's a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse (8000 or something, but I think it's emulating USB instead of actually working over Bluetooth). Simple method of fixing those buttons?
    So, suggestions for the above?
    Congratulations. I wish I could install Debian on my work computer. Many years ago, at a previous place of employment, I had a linux install on my workstation. I highly recommend you get a virtual OS system like VMWare. As for FTP, I recall using GFTP (although I remember it falling over quite a bit) and also it seemed like both the KDE file manager and nautilus had ftp capabilities. For mysql or postgres, I still recommend using phpmyadmin phppgadmin

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, my recommendation for just about all file management needs, remote or local, is always Konqueror. It supports a huge range of what GNOME calls `virtual filesystems' (in KDE they're called KIOSlaves). Hell, you can even treat your IMAP account as a set of files (it's really weird, but kind of awesome). Other than that, I also seem to recall that GFTP is reasonable. I don't really use FTP nowadays, being content with SSH+SFTP+SCP, with SSH doing all of the work with the sole exception of the actual file transfer most of the time.

For Photoshop -- I've heard some stories of getting it to run on Wine no problem. Sadly, CS2 in particular is rated as garbage. And in general, the Wine AppDB isn't particularly encouraging in terms of people's experiences. All in all, this is odd, because I thought Adobe had said they'd also work to try and get things to run in Wine on their end. Though that might have been Macromedia.

For MySQL and PostgreSQL -- I always, always, always use phpMyAdmin for MySQL. Nevertheless, there are other programs. For PostgreSQL I've found pgAdmin III, though my use of it has been limited. I'd guess that SQL Manager would be better than it, however. The good news is, both the MySQL and the PostgreSQL versions get a good rating in terms of running in Wine (not sure if that's the latest version of SQL Manager, though). As a side note, the System Requirements for SQL Management Studio don't list Linux at all, so it's possible that all they're saying is that it'll work with a PGSQL server on a Linux box, not that the software itself runs there.

Concerning the network printer -- that'll be interesting. I'm not sure what tools are available in GNOME, but the KDE printer configuration system is excellent (they claim it's second to none, but like I said I haven't really looked at GNOME's).

For IE, you'll want IEs4Linux, which should install versions 5-7 for you (they'll be running in Wine). IE7 runs in a weird but interesting way -- it actually uses the IE6 UI but the IE7 rendering engine, because the IE7 UI won't run in Wine. Seems quite clever (and, obviously, hackish).

And finally, for the MS mouse buttons, there's a simple tutorial over here for getting them set up, though you may well be able to find a graphical tool to wrap it all up for you.

And I'm not sure why you said you ruined your work computer... I'd argue you gave it a long-needed upgrade

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I ruined my computer again, this time with Ubuntu 8.04 Beta Desktop AMD64.

So now, this computer has gone from XP to Ubuntu to Vista to XP to Ubuntu again! This time, it's due to server reliability issues, so I'm just going to run a local Apache/PostgreSQL solution...which I got working within an hour. Ubuntu is such an awesome distribution...so easy to manage.

Current challenges, some of which I just haven't bothered with yet:
    • Getting Eclipse/PDT working
    • Getting Evolution to talk (reliably) to Exchange 2007
    • A graphical SVN client, other than just the Eclipse plugin

In more horrific news, I'm getting used to using vim.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    < evil laugh >. Welcome to the dark side.

As for a graphical SVN client, somewhere along the line, I stopped using those without realizing it. But then again, I've recently stopped using SVN altogether in favor of Bazaar. Supposedly, this: http://www.anrichter.net/projects/qsvn/ is quite good. Not integrated into Nautilus, though. In fact, I haven't managed to find anything that's integrated into Nautilus that is in any way mature, which is somewhat surprising. There's also kde-svn and Cervisia, which as I recall are both well-integrated into Konqueror, but I haven't played with those in a while.

Remove Ads