Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    just got my new computer and i need to buy a seperate graphics card. going to watch films, use illy, photoshop, edit film and some other bits and bobs.

question is what size of graphics card do you think will be needed for that? 128, 256 or 512mb. please don't just say 512mb for the sake of it, as money is very tight.

if anyne can recommend anything that is good let us know as well, it has to be PCI

cheers

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I'm all about getting the best technology for the money... that usually means getting 1-year old technology that's about 1/8th the price of the latest and greatest.

When I built my new machine a few months ago, I used a 256mb 2-head powering 2 monitors, and it works great! It set me back just over $100.

No sense getting a $1000+ video card that will only give you marginal improvement on the apps you're using. You're not a gamer... so don't throw your money away.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Video card RAM size is a useless indication of the power of the card. I've had a video card in a tablet PC with only 32 MB of RAM that played Half-Life 2 flawlessly, yet cards with 256 MB of RAM might struggle with it.

Editing video usually suggests a workstation-grade card and not a gaming one, which is both good and bad. If you're really serious about video editing, you're going to want one with component or HDMI out and support for at least two monitors (each supporting dual-link DVI). That'll be about $300 for a reasonably powerful one.

More importantly for video editing is lots of fast hard disk space, a fast CPU, and an assload of RAM (at [i]least/i] 2 GB, but more if you're doing HD). A video editing system tends to cost a lot more than a high-end gaming system, but they're designed to do two different things.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads