Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi guys...

okay im looking for a laptop that can run multiple programs at once.. programs would consist of : photoshop,illustrator,quark,dreamweaver,flash.. etc.. 3 or so at one time

need something that can handle that and high res graphics.. ill be using it for web/graphic design.. and i want a pc

thanks for any advice

Member #
    You have a lot of programs listed that will suck up memory, so whatever model you decide on make sure to get something that will hold a lot of memory (and/or be able to upgrade to more later).

Everyone will have a different opinion I'm sure on models. I've used an IBM for many years, but now that Lenovo owns them, their customer support has gone down hill.

In looking at new ones I've liked the Sony and HP's I've seen. The resolution on the higher end models has been pretty killer.

For the love of God, whatever you do, don't go to the Geek Squad to buy it.
    For a good laugh on the Geek Squad, check out this link.

Good luck with whatever you decide. When you do, repost the machine you got.
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    when you say memory your reffering to about 2 gb of ram or so?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    the geek squad haha..

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm happy with my Lenovo X60 tablet. Even installed Linux on it. It kinda kicks ***. That said, this is more of a portability laptop than a speed demon. It does have 2GB of RAM, though, and a decent Core Duo processor. The video card is an Intel, so it's not that great, but it can drive my display at 1400x1050, so I'm not complaining.

Member #
    Yes, at least 2gb ram.

My IBM has been a tremendous workhorse, so it is hard for me to move on.......oh well.
    GMan

Member #
    Well, most computers can run Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Flash at the same time with no problem at 512mb RAM. I don't know anything about quark...
    If it's really neccessary to get a 2Gb RAM, I wouldn't understand why. A cheaper laptop would do, in my opinion.
    But I'm more of a rookie when it comes to buying computers
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Member #
    Maybe the older versions but CS2/3 you need more memory than 512mb.
    Plus, you will need more than that running them at the same time.

Also, memory isn't that cheap to add. You want the upgrade ability in the future to add up to 2gb.
    I know of very few web development companies in my area that run machines on less than 1gb memory.
    From a business standpoint, it isn't cost effective in terms of overall productivity. At 512 it will run much slower, period.
    GMan

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I have three systems that are relevant here: personal laptop, home desktop, and work desktop.

• Home desktop: 2.6 GHz (overclocked to 3.01 GHz) Pentium 4 with 1 GB of RAM and Windows XP. By far, the slowest factor is the processor. If I put Vista on it, I would need 2 GB minimum. If the video card was more powerful and I played some newer games, I'd also need 2 GB or 4 GB of RAM. Importantly, it has very fast hard drives: 2x 10,000 RPM SATA Raptors in RAID 0. That means if one fails, all the data is lost (automated backups nightly for me), but it's fast as hell. When Vista was installed on my desktop, it maxed out the hard drive score. You can very easily tell the difference when you launch programs, encode videos, etc. that the hard drives really speed things up.
    • Personal laptop: 1.67 GHz Core Duo with 2 GB RAM running Vista Business. 2 GB is 100% essential for Vista if you don't want it to thrash about or if you plan on running, like, programs. According to the performance tool, the video card is slowing it down, and it's already a Geforce 7400 Go which runs Aero just fine. Just like the desktop, the hard drive is faster (7200 RPM vs. a standard 5400 RPM).
    • Work desktop: 3 GHz Pentium 4 with 2 GB of RAM...running Ubuntu. I have yet to go above 600 MB of user RAM (I max it out all the time with cached data, though). And I'm always running Eclipse, Opera, and usually a terminal and a bunch of background programs.

1 GB, absolute minimum for XP; 2 GB for Vista. 2 GB for XP if you're gaming or video editing (Photoshop doesn't really need 2 GB unless you're doing super-high-resolution image editing); 4 GB in the case of Vista.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    4GB?!?!
    That's insane...maybe I should upgrade my desktop's memory...
    I WILL rule the world someday.
    My Blog!!!
    Check out the Leviathan Chronicles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads