Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Wow, I just got Damn Small Linux to run in windows with Microsoft Virual PC 2007. Its pretty good is there a version of Ubuntu that uses no more than 500mb when istalled?
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Now to get Apache And PHP On It :P
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    I'm not sure of the exact size on disk, but you could try Xubuntu.

Member #
    Ha u read my mind, apache dont install on DSL becasue it doesnt have the make command, got Xubuntu installing now , minimum of 1.4gb installed.

Its eating my CPU though.

Well xubuntu wont work for some reason, It gets to the desktop bit with Install,Trash Can, and some other bits then I lost the mouse.
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Just looked on the compatibility list and it says Feisty Fawn isn't compatible so im try Dapper Drake ill keep you posted
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Screw the mouse and use a terminal!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun13
    Ha u read my mind, apache dont install on DSL becasue it doesnt have the make command, got Xubuntu installing now , minimum of 1.4gb installed.

Its eating my CPU though.

Well xubuntu wont work for some reason, It gets to the desktop bit with Install,Trash Can, and some other bits then I lost the mouse.
    Get some old crappy system and put Linux on it. It works fine for a server.

In my basement, I have a $200 refurbished Dell B110 desktop, and even that's overkill. Still, it can:
    • Serve HTML, PHP, and if I ever figure it out reliably, Ruby on Rails. It actually hosts WDF v6 for development, mostly for speedy development, but also because the live server for WDF doesn't yet support PHP 5 (for God's sake, why not...) and PostgreSQL 8.
    • Run MySQL and PostgreSQL database servers
    • Host 1.08 TB of music/videos/etc. over SMB (Windows File Sharing). All of my music, TV shows, movies, etc. reside on the server; I'm getting ever-closer to the point where I never need to store anything on my desktop. In fairness, the desktop originally came with 80 GB of space, but I since added a 500 GB internal drive and a 500 GB external drive, the latter used for daily rsync backups.
    • Send me a text message when the power goes out...although that doesn't work reliably yet for some reason (no, not because the power is out; there's about 10 minutes of battery backup available, including for the Internet connection which is actually active if there's no power at all in the house).
    • Track my bandwidth usage using MRTG.
    • Allow 24/7 torrent use via Azureus and a web interface.
    • List content on my TiVo and allow me to download shows off it to the server, stripping DRM in the process so I get a normal MPEG-2 video.

That's a lot more than I could do in a VM, and unlike a VM, the server stays running when my desktop is off. The only times I've ever had to reboot the server: when a power failure outlasts the battery backup available, and of all the stupidest things, when I plugged in a USB hard drive and it didn't recognize it as a mountable drive.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Im only using VM, because Im 15 and dont have the money to buy a second system at the minute and I only wanna play with linux, so I have some experience for when I actually need to use it, if I had the money Id replace my Celeron 2.6Ghz and use that as a linux box.

Eddy cant install it using terminal you get like a desktop type interface that has firefox and a couple of other apps that you can use without installing and the install is like another application.
    Regards Phil,

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    DSL is probably based on Debian. It's worth seeing if you can use apt-get to grab yourself make and related build tools. I think the metapackage is build-essentials or something.

Member #
    I screwed that idea now running Xubutnu. Got a question whats the difference between, Ubuntu, Xubuntu,Kubuntu and Edubuntu?

Im guessing Edubuntu is for educational purposes.
    Regards Phil,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads