Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi their.

So this month was real bad for work... (only had one web page) and the bills are backing up... so I diced to throw out their this crazy plan. If this goes against the forum rules.. please let me know.

He is the plan. I am an affiliate with a great hosting company. (site removed). If I bring them a new hosting package via a link they provide I get a commission. Its a good deal. SO... this is what I propose.

[solicitation removed]

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Hi Mack,

I'm sorry you're having a bad month, but yes, that solicitation breaks forum rules.

I'm leaving the thread up so others can get the following advice I have for you.

In any industry, if you work for yourself, there are good times and bad times. Accounting for slow periods is part of what it means to be your own boss. There are benefits to offset the negatives, though. Unlimited growth potential, for starters.

My two points of advice to you are as follows:
    1. Stick with your core services. If your web design services are selling slowly, you should focus more of your effort on selling them rather than going outside and trying to sell widgets or gizmos to supplement your income. If hosting packages cost $8 a month, you certainly aren't making a great ROI by spending your time advertising resale of them. You'd do significantly better investing some $$$ into a dedicated server somewhere and becoming a full-fledged web host. But that's not your core service, which means you don't stand to make enough from it to justify it unless you've already maximized your potential with web design and want to develop other verticals with your existing clients. Even then, hosting brings such a minimal ROI, it's usually not worth it for the headaches involved.

2. If business is slow, it's because you're not doing enough business development (networking, sales, etc.). Instead of focusing your time on expanding your services, you should refocus your efforts back on the sales of your existing services. That will be significantly more effective in generating revenues for you and getting you out of this slow period. If things are slow, that means you have even more time to beat the streets and get out there and meet people and sell services. You should be spending every waking moment that isn't spent on client projects doing business development. This is a fundamental part of developing a successful services business.

Hope that helps!

Member #
    Hi Transio,

My bad on braking the rules - It seemed like a gray area so I was not too sure... but hey now I know.

Any who thanks for the motivational words - I do agree with you 100%. Also I DO spend all day studying up on new trends in web design, fine tuning my skills, and marketing my services in web page production (as well as Illustration, 3D, and video effects). I think I at least contacted 100+ people this month in person not to mention the online adds, but it seems everyone is "getting ready" to get moving on a web page. Granted this is much like sending a boat out to sea, sending a boat out to find distant lands. Some may return with goods and trade routs... others may sink or get stranded. But its the law of chances that the more boats you send out the more of them may come back. So who knows, next month I may get 20 sights... but thats next month and not today.

As for the Return On Investment (ROI) you mention. Its 100$ per referral. and the service costs only 96 a year.. This stated if I have 10 referrals that woudl be 1000 and that can cover the bills and keep the computer on so that I can make more web pages tomorrow.

Like you said their are good and bad times - and thats the joy and pain of being your own boss. Hear's looking to the good times brother~

Cheers
    T~

Member #
    I find that my homepage is very much hit and miss with clients. It is not yet generating enough traffic for me to support myself. This means I need to aggressive go out and grab clients.

My main tip is not to wait for clients to come to you. When a month is bad hunt out work aggressively on freelancing sites. Quite often you will need to take a cut in hourly wage, however doing work at perhaps 60-70% of your hourly wage is far better than doing nothing.

You can keep up on web trends and the such but if you are between clients you really need to get right out there and grab new ones. By all means advertise as well, however if you are spending a month generating traffic for your site and only get one client then perhaps you are not quite ready to support yourself by that means alone. As a result look into getting clients via other means.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Perad
    My main tip is not to wait for clients to come to you. When a month is bad hunt out work aggressively on freelancing sites. Quite often you will need to take a cut in hourly wage, however doing work at perhaps 60-70% of your hourly wage is far better than doing nothing.
    These freelancing sites - are they only for experts or is there work for the "intermediate" level designer/coder?

Member #
    The freelancing sites are open to everyone, there are jobs ranging from really simple things to really big complex sites. It is very much possible that you can get your hands on a job which you cannot realistically do. However this will result in a bad rating and sooner or later a dismissal for the site.

I would say have a look for yourself and bid on the jobs which you fell confident of doing.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Perad
    The freelancing sites are open to everyone, there are jobs ranging from really simple things to really big complex sites. It is very much possible that you can get your hands on a job which you cannot realistically do. However this will result in a bad rating and sooner or later a dismissal for the site.

I would say have a look for yourself and bid on the jobs which you fell confident of doing.
    Hmmm... they have rating systems. Gotta be careful then. Cheers for the tip. Gonna have a look and see the range of jobs.

Remove Ads