Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Stopping Spam?

Member #
    OK, spam is pissing me off. What I would like is the following..

A program that identifies the free e-mail providers, when I first receive an e-mail from one it sends a blank e-mail back to the sender, if it gets a response I receive the e-mail. If not it drops the e-mail and all subsiquent e-mails from this address.

Does anyone know of anything which does this?

Member #
    I don't think thats a good idea. First, a ton of people use free e-mail. Second, getting blank emails is VERY annoying (especially when someone is expecting mail and sees "1 new mail" and hastes to open it, just to see its a "confirmation" system).

The usual approach is to compare the mail server source with the from: field of the mail. Is something wrong with that?
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    OK that would work better, which mail programs do this? I keep getting mail addressed from e-mail's which simply do not exist.

Also do any programs which employ this allow a user to specify trusted e-mails and allow a user to specify words which automatically scan e-mails from untrusted addresses for certain words and count them as spam accordingly.

Member #
    Do a search, I know stuff like yahoo do this automatically (and it probably isn't so hard anyway). Your original idea wasn't good at all, in my opinion. You're fighting spam by sending out blank emails, which themselves are spam. So, do for for the comparison approach.

As for removing emails by blacklist, I'm sure there are loads. Try google.
    Note on code: If I give code, please note that it is simply sample code to demonstrate an effect. It is not meant to be used as-is; that is the programmer's job. I am not responsible to give you support or be held liable for anything that happens when using my code.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Challenge-Response systems aren't too horrible; the problem is if you're likely to get one-off emails, as, say, with clients. It's the same principle with email whitelists -- they can be fine for people who regularly email you, but one-off emails might get filtered too often.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    At work, we use http://www.postini.com/ and I use Gmail (ironically, Google owns Postini, too). Stupidly enough, you can't whitelist your own company's domain in Postini, but all the spam I get now is appropriately marked as such. And since I switched to Gmail to manage my three e-mail accounts/servers, I've learned that yes, Gmail can certainly be trained nicely to mark certain messages as spam.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    At work, we use http://www.postini.com/ and I use Gmail (ironically, Google owns Postini, too). Stupidly enough, you can't whitelist your own company's domain in Postini,...
    While that is not a good practice and allows for spoofing of your domain by spammers, you can set up an allowance for your domain by IP. In your system admin guide under IP & Security go to Avoiding spoofing, this will detail the process on how to setup your domain as an approved sender by IP.
    Secure Email Plus - Postini Partner

Member #
    if the email issue is on your server/host??

cpanel has whats called a BoxTrapper which creates a whitelist..
    im not sure exactly how good it works though.. i just know about it..
    http://www.cpanel.net/docs/cpanel/Box_Trapper.htm

if so another option might be to run your email through a service like.
    http://www.mxlogic.com/

exchange mail is really good too.. im currently using this and get very little spam
    i think web.com offers exchange mail hosting

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shainemorris
    Report the mail as a spam to your e mail provider so that they could do something about it.
    Ironic that a spammer is offering help on how to stop spam.

Remove Ads