Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm going to the phone shop tomorrow but I'm impatient.. if I get an 18 month contract that comes with a free phone and no one off payment. How much would I have to pay at the shop? Would I be paying the first month of the contract or a couple of months?

Also with contract phones is there a way to check how much free call time and texts that you have remaining?

Does call time stack if unused?

Thanks in advance for any answers on the above questions.

Member #
    In the states it varies by providers and plans. Not sure about how it is in the UK.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    1st i would advise checking internet, most of the deals on the internet are chaeper as the shop sales ppl can take commissionf increasing the price, or trying to tie you down to a 18month contract. 12 months are always better!

stay away fom 3, very poor customer service, orange have brillient cust service but you will pay a bit extra, however if you get a 12 month contract you can threaten to leave (at the end of you contract ) around 9 months into the contract and get a new phone, more min/text etc all for just staying. that how it works for me anyway, i phone orange every 9months and say vodafone have offered xxxx and they always give you a better deal.

anyway back to you point.

if you get a contract i am a firm believe that you should never pay for a phone, if you want a particular phone (say only orange do) but the tarrif from 3 , hone the orange sales line and explain that you want to go to 3, and vodaphone have given you a great offer (make somewthing up that sound believable) and they will probably match what you want closely.

finally, yes there are mutible way to check you remaining min/text. varies, but usually you can create a online account with your provider to check your bills , min, text, etc. Also never pay 3 months in advance and don't go for a 'cash back' option. they ain't worth the money.

you will get a better deal on a contract but watch you bills.... and happy shopping. hope my rant was useful man:-)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I have an iPhone activated on AT&T. Before that, I had a non-smartphone on Verizon. Both let you view all your account status (bills, remaining minutes, text messages, data usage, etc.) online, although Verizon's sucked compared to AT&T.

With AT&T (and the iPhone specifically, although really any phone on AT&T can do it; the iPhone just has shortcuts), you can send a (free) text message to a designated number, and you'll get a (free) response back in seconds with a brief summary of your usage.

Screenshot of AT&T's interface:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    With AT&T (and the iPhone specifically, although really any phone on AT&T can do it; the iPhone just has shortcuts), you can send a (free) text message to a designated number, and you'll get a (free) response back in seconds with a brief summary of your usage.
    Both Verizon and T-Mobile also have a number you can call (free) to get your usage. Not sure how extensive T-Mobile is, but in Verizon, you can get usage info, broken down into peak/off-peak/IN on texts, phone calls, data minutes, bill summary and pay your bill. It's not a text message, but it's quicker since it's just one button to make the call and you get a free text message
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Plus for quick information, T-Mobile lets you (I think with most phones at this point) dial the `network operation' #464# to see your usage (that's #MIN#).

Remove Ads