Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have some software that can automatically go to a web service and download files. The files I send are at first a PDF but are split at the client side.

Size is very important, the largest file sizes may reach 2mb to 2.5, ideally I want them under 1.5mb

Are there any compression methods I can do? Right now they are sent as a zip, extracted, then split into x files. Cheers.

Member #
    Most web servers now support built-in GZIP compression and the compression ratios do tend to be higher than ZIP because it does not include an archive facility. You can see a a tabulated comparison of compression algorithms at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression

Also, if the PDF files contain graphics you may want ot consider using a compression format such as JPEG for these instead.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you have a decompressor on the other side, I tend to favor bz2 for minimal size.

Remove Ads