Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey there guys, how are ye all?

I have a bit of strange question. I have decided to start out on the road of a web designer and just got myself a domain and hosting and all the rest of that jazz. I am just about to get stuck into my own corporate branding and was wondering if I could get some opinions on my company/site name.

As I said it was a bit of a random and strange question LOL

Anyway the name of the company is Synoptic Media........

What do ye think?

Mekhet

Member #
    Synoptic media is a good name..
    sounds unique,gooluck for your company

jamilla

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If you Google "synoptic media" there are a few others already using the name, but if you're only marketing locally then it probably isn't a big issue... none of them seem to have trademarks or anything, as might be the case if you decided to call your company "Disney Design", "Pepsi Pages" or "McDonalds Media"

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    It's not a terrible name. It's what you might call a "descriptive" name.

Lately, I've tried to go for "emotive" names for my companies and my clients' companies. They basically stretch the metaphor one level deeper, doing more than just describing your company... they tell a story about your company.

Examples of emotive names:
    1. Nike - Nike is a Greek word meaning "victory". It's also the name of the Greek Goddess representing victory in competition. She is the winged Goddess of athletes. The name, relative to the shoes, emotes that Nike shoes are the shoes of victors.

2. Oracle - Oracles, in ancient cultures, were fortune-tellers, prophets, and wise people or objects that would bring light and truth to those seeking them out. The name, relative to the company, emotes that Oracle databases are sources of higher knowledge or power.

3. Google - A Googol is a 10 to the 100th power. It is a number so big that there are not a Googol of anything in the entire Universe. There aren't a Googol of atoms, or even subatomic particles in the Universe. The name, relative to the company, emotes that they're the most vast information source in the Universe (at least, that is available to us). The name implies size and completeness of information - important in a search engine.

Just some things for you to ponder.

Along the lines of the above, you might consider a name like "Nyx Media".

Nyx was the creator of all existence according to Greek Mythology. It was a black bird that laid a golden egg, giving birth to the first of the gods.

Your logo could be a black bird on a golden egg.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    So Oranikle it is.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oranikle would no doubt make a wonderful database-driven search engine specifically dedicated to sportswear.

I worked 17 years in Oracle. The late eighties were a great time to be there as Oracle was really open to ideas - I was credited in an Oracle customer release for coming up with a couple of the tweaks to Oracle that created version 5.0.22 (ah, glory days!!)

Was never invited on holiday with Larry Ellison or anything, of course... shame, really... who knows where I'd be if myself and Larry had struck up a personal friendship...

...on the golf course, rather than here is a guess :-)

Sean

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by filburt1
    So Oranikle it is.
    rotfl

Remove Ads