Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I just want to know if I'm living in a bubble... Specifically the ATL.

Here in Atlanta, saying "ATL" has a different connotation than saying "Atlanta." But is that only true of Atlantans? What does ATL mean to you? Is it completely synonymous with Atlanta, is it specifically a reference to the airport, or is there a deeper meaning associated with our generation?

ATL, as a term, came about from pop-culture. It's a hip and endearing way to talk about our city.

I'm curious if there are places or things in your life, that you might say differently than people who are not in the same frame of mind/place/etc.

And in case any one is wondering... I am not angry about the edit, just curious, because to me, it doesn't make sense.
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    As someone who is not from the states ATL means nothing to me

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    "The ATL" (to me) is a pop-urban-culture way of saying "Atlanta". It's kind of like "The 305" for Miami, "Chi-town" for Chicago "The CPT" for Compton, etc. etc. In Miami, other than "The 305", there's "SoBe" (South Beach), which I think pretty much everyone knows.

Member #
    To me "The ATL" is Atlanta as a whole, and as much as I try to forget, I will always remember "The 205".
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Member #
    Hum. I'd never heard "The 305" nor "The 205" and though I've not heard of SoBe, I am familiar with SoFla. I do know Chi-town, O-town, Nap-town, and G-ville (which only a refers to Florida though there is also one in GA). I have also heard MIA and LAX as references to cities... but then again, I'm not the person to talk to in that department!

Any how!
    Thanks, Steven + Jason. Your comments really lead me to believe that I live in a bubble of how my town is perceived. Though, please note, it's a great city and easily accessible from all over the world.

It's funny though, because I've always held that "you know you live here when the traffic report makes sense." And yet, I take for granted the local nicknames for, well, A-town.

Cheers!
    Shani

I have an eye for detail like you'd never believe.

Member #
    205 is the area code for Birmingham, AL (Ruben Studdard wore jerseys with 205 on it on the second season of American Idol)
    Portfolio | Blog | Twitter

Was my post, or someone elses, helpful? Click the thumbs up to let everyone know!

Remove Ads