Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ok, so last weekend, my computer melted down. I removed the drive and put it in a new computer, and am able to access all of my files, except the "My Documents" folder, which was made private. It has all of my iTunes and more importantly, my Outlook dat file, which contains, among other things, the serial numbers for some important software I need to install on my new computer.

So how do I get into that folder? When I try to open it, it tells me access denied. A buddy told me that there's an option in the properties/advanced button to "take ownership", but I can't find that anywhere.... Any Windows wizards wanna help? Thanks!

Member #
    I cannot help here. All I can say is in future get dropbox

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Schweet! The problem I was having is that my computer was using simple file sharing (default), so I couldn't see the security tab! Taking ownership of files now.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason
    I cannot help here. All I can say is in future get dropbox
    I have a NAS, but I haven't backed up my files in a while.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Set up automatic backups. Online backups aren't a bad idea either.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I have all my work and e-mails running out of my drop box. This way as soon as something new comes into my inbox is automatically updated. Its works out really well.. also it keeps my mac and laptop synced

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley
    It has all of my iTunes and more importantly, my Outlook dat file, which contains, among other things, the serial numbers for some important software I need to install on my new computer.
    Perhaps you should switch to IMAP, Gmail, or (gack) Exchange--i.e., something that stores and keeps messages on the server? All three sync their changes back to the server unlike POP3; for example, if you mark a message read in Outlook, it is also marked as read on the server.

You probably already know all of that and come to think of it, is your .pst more valuable for a Calendar, Notes, etc. rather than the mail? Exchange would fix that too. Of course, it would mean you would be using Exchange, which is just as sadistic as hitting your computer with a sledgehammer.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Nicely said, filburt1 - especially that last bit!

I would suggest backing up your files with an external hard drive, and set it to do it automatically, and then for reassurance, just back them up on the net, on a remote server.

This happened to me once and it was really annoying. I was working on a website on my computer and didn't back it up, then my computer crashed and I lost the website and had to build it again. Lukily I had only done a basic template!

I feel for you, man but glad you got it working!

Remove Ads