Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Tonight marked a significant shift in the world... a tremendous societal change the full impact of which we haven't seen yet. Although I don't love all that Obama represents as a politician, I think he's one of the great orators of our time, and a brilliant figurehead whom I greatly respect, I personally am overwhelmed by the fact that America, a nation still so wrought with hatred and prejudice, was able to put that aside and in a solid majority vote a black man into the highest office of power.

I'm a big Bob Marley fan, and the words of the song "War" always ring through my head. The song recants the words of Emperor Selassie's speech to the UN: "Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes, there is war." Neither Selassie nor Marley lived to see that day, but today, it arrived. And in January, a black man will hold the most powerful position in the world.

The significance of this event will unfold over years, possibly even generations. We won't see the end of racism in a day, or a year, or even a decade, but today, we took a huge step in that direction... breaking down an invisible wall that has separated the world for centuries.

As a business owner, the election of Obama will hurt me financially, but as a human being, I know that the unity of the human race is vastly more important than the rat race.

Member #
    I still can't believe it. But today is a great day

Member #
    Finally the future is looking good.

We've had far too long with Bush....finally America has made the right choice.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Anyone see Southpark tonight? If not, you should. Makes a total mockery of the election. Danny Ocean style
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley
    I think he's one of the great orators of our time..
    I couldn't agree more, (and also agree with rest).

To have a leader who's capable of conveying hope, reflections and ideals is immensely important!
    Think what impact Chuchill, Martin Luther King, and others who mastered the word had on their time!
    Like music, it conveys emotions! There are no more powerful tools in the human arsenal than music or verbal brilliance.
    If you're trying to change peoples perceptions of things or trying to rally massive support for a cause (or change), there are no substitute for communicative skills.
    Music appeals directly to our emotions, but is vague if you're trying to pass a message. In combination with powerful lyrics, music has an enormous impact on how we perceive things and how we react to them.

Words not accompanied by music is more accurate in conveying thoughts and ideals, but much harder to master.
    The ability to emotionally engage listeners through speach alone is mastered only by a handful of people throughout history.
    Speach writers obviously are talented, but cannot verbally present the message. Very few people can!

Obama is a very powerful speaker. When he talks, he does so with a natural authority. You immediately believe in what he says. When his speaches also contains wisdom and verbal elegance, it's an emotional experience as well.

The fact that Obama is black and now (or shortly) holds the most powerful office of the world, sends out enormously powerful signals of equality to the rest of the world. I'm profoundly touched by this fact alone!
    In combination with his message of anti confrontationalism, I feel great hope for America (and the rest of us).

S. Rosland

Member #
    rosland, you took the words out of my mouth...very well said. totally agree with you.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I think one of the most impressive effects of this victory was the worldwide reaction. Americans who have been disliked for the past years getting hugs on the street and congratulations. My grandfather, who fought in World War II in Greece and has a tendency to greatly dislike US policies in general admitted that the election of Obama was a truly great thing. Nobody believed it would happen. Everyone thought `there's no way they will elect a black President'. It's interesting, because I never saw that as playing a part in the decision. And indeed, that proved to be the case.

I think whether we agree or not with Obama's politics, or with the next four years of governance, the mere symbolic value of this election deserves some praise.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    I think one of the most impressive effects of this victory was the worldwide reaction
    Absolutely, almost the whole world has been going for Obama. Even Iran praises America for their election of Obama. (seriously, it was in the newspaper)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    I think whether we agree or not with Obama's politics, or with the next four years of governance, the mere symbolic value of this election deserves some praise.
    Exactly. We should stick his face on Mt Rushmore.
    Note to say though that he's going to be a bad president, in fact I think quite the oppisite, but definately a great historic and symbolic moment has just happened.

Member #
    I honestly think he will bring great opportunities to America. He will do a great job! We will just have to wait and see in Jan.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    War will continue. It's very profitable for USA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads