Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    errrrrrr gigs... sorry about that

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I only have 1 gig and I can run Fireworks, DW, Photoshop and a browser at the same time.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Quote Originally Posted by diddy
    Mac didn't have right click when i was suing them
    When was this? I have an Apple LC II (1992 baby!) with a 2 button mouse and the right click worked fine on it out of the box.

As for Vista, my first time using it was only a month ago when I started a new job. So far so good. In fact, my new system will have it (albeit it's gonna be a monster rig w/ 6 or 12 GB of memory).
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I was using macs in the late 90's. Maybe here in Australia we didn't get priveliges of right click! I tried everything to get right click to work and it didn't! Anyway, even with right click,s macs will never have a part in my life.

Wired, that's a lot of memory!

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    As I've probably posted earlier at some point:

Vista runs terribly on a computer not designed for it and brilliantly on one that is. My Pentium 4 couldn't deal with it. My Core 2 Duo at work, my Core Duo laptop, and my Athlon 64 X2 home desktop are just fine and actually are slower with XP than with Vista. Vista seems much better at taking advantage of multiple cores than XP.

Keep in mind that my home computers (excluding my server) have 2 GB of RAM, and my work desktop has 4 GB. 2 GB is a bare minimum to run Vista with any degree of sanity.

I actually hate using XP now. I really love the new Explorer in Vista, the new start menu with inline searching, and just lots of little tweaks they've done. There are some things I don't like such as the networking settings changes but overall the pros outweigh the cons.

I mainly use Ubuntu 8.10 on my work desktop and Ubuntu 8.04 on my netbook, each with great results. I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on my home desktop but there are too many problems with my hardware to make it my main OS at home.

And Macs are just pointless now. Ubuntu has all the programs I need, is quite usable, and still has the "power of *nix" behind it like Apple's BS marketing--with one major exception: Photoshop, the only reason I boot into Windows occasionally at work. The GIMP is not even close to a substitute.

So all pretty much inline with what I posted about a year ago: http://www.webdesignforums.net/showthread.php?t=26570 . That last bullet point I'm more neutral on now; I don't really like the scrolling programs menu but I don't hate it anymore.

I've found in most cases the people who hate Vista fall into one of the following categories:
    • People who hate Microsoft for no reason.
    • People who haven't tried Vista but have heard others bitch about it, so they bitch about it too.
    • People who have tried Vista but on relatively old hardware--most importantly, either not on a dual-core processor or not with at least 2 GB of RAM.
    • Apple fantards who have no right to speak.

Now if you don't fall under one of those categories and still hate Vista, more power to you, because at least you've tried it, gave it a chance with proper hardware, and just don't like it for whatever reason.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Nicely said fibs.

gdc
    Member #
    I've been running Vista for a while and can't complain at all. It helps when you buy quality parts with good drivers. As far as the macs go, well, they are not important enough to go after Besides, mac os is based off a unix kernel which is very good. I'm wondering how secure macs would be if hackers started targetting the OS. Just a thought.

Member #
    I think if you've got good hardware etc for Vista, then it isn't too bad. I think lots of people hate it because it's just different and it takes a lot of getting used to. That goes with office 07 as well, although I still maintain that microsoft have mucked things up with office 07.

gdc
    Member #
    Vista was easy to get used to. I had a trial version of Office07 and hated it every time I tried it. Back to office 03 for me

Member #
    I know this thread hasn't been active for a while, but I thought I'd just say something.

I just yesterday got my new laptop with Vista Business on it. I have to say that I love Vista. NO problems so far. Just got to get used to it. It's running faster than XP on my other machine! And the prompts don't bother me. And as for Office 07, I'm getting used to it, but I still think that office 07 design wasn't the best move Microsoft made.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads