Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Member #
    To the Mac haters, my suggestion: see a psychiatrist. You were traumatized in childhood. Poor you could figure out keyboard commands, no right click, and the infamous: "Macs have no games!!!!" <--- bull****. I have lots of games on my Intel Mac. Oh I have a right click mouse. I can run multiple OS: Mac OS-X, Linux, and Windows all on the same machine. I can cross test Websites on different browsers in different environments.

So go buy some real cheese to go with that wine.

Oh, and the last time I downloaded a Computer Shopper April 2009 (from Mini Nova) the laptops (Lenevo for 5,000 and HP Elitebook for 2,400) and i7 desktops the magazine custom configured to about the same specs as a Mac cost hundreds more.

Don't get me wrong, I like PCs, but want to work, not fight malware viruses, trojans, etc..

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tudorchad
    I can run multiple OS: Mac OS-X, Linux, and Windows all on the same machine.
    ahhh, but your machine will never run windows at proper windows speed, as it is a mac. And vice versa.

I stand by what I said for PC over Mac.

Member #
    Diddy, do you have evidence and speed tests as to how an Intel Mac runs Windows? Does this mean a HP is faster than a Dell, or a Asus faster than....? What is a proper Windows speed? Does that mean how fast it runs with all the virus protection software? Fill me in with stats and sources, I would love to know.

I have read all these ridiculous arguements over the years. It seems it's really just a matter of choice. As a Web guy, I choose one machince that will display different environments in different browsers.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tudorchad
    Diddy, do you have evidence and speed tests as to how an Intel Mac runs Windows? Does this mean a HP is faster than a Dell, or a Asus faster than....? What is a proper Windows speed? Does that mean how fast it runs with all the virus protection software? Fill me in with stats and sources, I would love to know.

I have read all these ridiculous arguements over the years. It seems it's really just a matter of choice. As a Web guy, I choose one machince that will display different environments in different browsers.
    I don't have actual test data, but I have theories. A Mac, which was built to run the Mac OS system, will never run a windows system on it as well as a computer that was built to run windows.

But I definately think it is a matter of preference. Mac or PC - there's never going to be one victor.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Um... Ok. So, disclaimer: I use a MacBook Pro for my day-to-day wanderings. I have a desktop with Vista on it, and don't mind Vista very much, except that it gives me a UAC screen every time I boot because Logitech's program wants to check for updates. But I know I can go disable that if I want to, so whatevs.

That said, a couple of things:

(a) Windows runs just as fast on a Mac as it does on some other PC, given the same specs. Why? Because there is literally no difference. Since Apple switched to Intel chips a few years ago, the only difference between, say, a Mac Pro and an HP desktop PC is that the Mac Pro is gorgeous inside the box and the HP desktop is a tangle of wires. That's it. The mobos are more or less the same (give or take a version or two of technology sometimes, like PCI Express 2.0, which Mac Pros I think got a little later than everyone else), the video cards are the same, the procs are the same manufacturer, and the RAM is the same kind. I can pull the RAM out of a Mac Pro and drop it in an HP desktop and go. Provided the chips are built for the same chipset, I can pull the processor from an HP desktop and drop it in a Mac Pro motherboard and go.

Windows is designed to run on a heterogeneous environment, because that's the way PCs grew up. There is no such thing as a PC `built for Windows'. The worst you might run into is a driver that isn't quite as hot, and I've never really heard of that happening.

That said, I don't know why you would use Windows on a Mac except to run programs you can't. The OS X experience is so much smoother, and it's bout 90% of the reason to buy a Mac. If it's not your thing, fine, but if you buy a Mac, that really should be a huge part of the purchasing decision.

(b) Macs have supported right-click for as long as I can remember. The default mouse only came with one button for a very long time, however. Still, holding down Ctrl while clicking has always right-clicked on a Mac as far as I can remember, and two-button mice that operated on the right port have also generally worked.

(c) You can build comparably priced Macs and PCs with the same specs with no trouble. The difference is that there are some spec groups that Mac offerings don't cover -- especially the mid range -- so most Mac stuff is either nicely powered and expensive or nicely priced and underpowered.

Ultimately, I believe that the choice between Mac and PC is simple: do you like OS X. If you don't, you don't get a Mac. If you do, you get one. You can run Linux and Windows on either, and technically you can run OS X on either, though drivers may be troublesome and it's technically illegal (against the OS X EULA). That said, I think those who don't like OS X generally haven't given it a chance. This is not your grandma's Mac OS (that would be OS 9), and it takes some getting used to. I did not go for Macs until last September or so when we brought a Mac Pro to the office and I had to work on it for a fair amount of time. After I got used to OS X, when it came time to get a new work laptop, I asked for a MacBook Pro. Simple as that.

But there's nothing wrong with liking Windows or Linux. I still like Linux, and dislike Windows more for ideological reasons (MS's market practices rather annoy me, and no, I don't think it's silly to let my hatred of IE extend to its owner company) than practical ones. I can use Windows just fine, I can use Linux just fine, OS X just works... Nicer for me.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    In short, yes, Intel Macs run Windows at full speed.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I tried to install Windows XP after Vista on my laptop but it is really impossible!!! Installation program tells that some new hardware makes it impossible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads