Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    For all the complaining I see and here about Vista, I've yet to have one problem with it. Just the other day I had a Trojan attemting to install on my machine and Vista caught it before it did any damage. I also have McAfee running but Vista (with windows defender) got to it before McAfee did. This came about as I tried to get an update to view wmp files. It was through an email I got and when I went to view the movie it prompted me to get an update to view it. Since I haven't been able to view wmp files since my email host did a total makeover, like an idiot, I clicked on it. Thank god because I only have one machine at the moment.

Member #
    Wow, Vista stopped a virus. Nice one...

Ofcourse the Mac doesn't get Virus'. XP has perfectly adequate virus protection with third party software.

The thing that bugs me about Vista is how slow it is. Your prompted for everything, the start bar seems unituative. Programs have to be run in administrator mode. I just can never see myself building websites on Vista.

Mac yes, Linux yes, XP why not. Vista... never.

Maybe I will reassess windows when Windows 7 comes out.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The only thing that seems slow to me is start up. It wants to load a million programs and takes up about 512 mb of memory. I went in and removed quite a few start up programs and that helped a lot, although you need to be careful which ones to disable. Administrative mode? I log in at start up but that's it. Yes there are a lot of prompts, I guess I'm just used to it. I must confess though that I've never worked on a Mac, so maybe I don't know any better!

Member #
    I'm a mac hater, and would prefer vista over mac anyday. It is slow, from what I've heard, and it has many annoying prompts etc but i don't think sp2 has come out yet, so there is still hope. I wouldn't recommend running vista unless you've got 4 gigs of ram. Or get a nitrogen cooling system in your machine.
    But I've worked on macs and i hate them so much! I'm really fond of the right click, so obviously macs have a disadvantage already. I just don't like them. The first computers i ever used were macs, and then i switched to pcs later and I'm never going back.
    But lets not go over that becasue I don't want to start a PC V Mac war!
    I've got Macafee on XP and it does a great job, good job spotting a trojan before macafee did!

About vista, time will telll its fate. But office 2007 - that's a fail.

Member #
    Erm, macs have a right click. By default Macs come with the 'mighty mouse'. My housemate uses this mouse and presses control when she clicks and thus has the second click function.

I got rid of my mighty mouse after about 20 minutes. I have my 5 year old intellimouse. Its awesome.

I don't really want to get into why Mac > Windows... I reckon i could list 50 big things which Mac has over both XP and Vista.

If I turn it around what does Windows have over the Mac. Better access to games? Mac has bootcamp so having to restart aside its a non-issue. I really can think of no other benefit windows has over mac.

Microsoft themselves have acknowledged that Vista hasn't gone down to well. Windows 7 is effectively Vista 2. A big update that will address many of peoples current concerns.

XP is alright, you can be fairly productive on it.

Linux is good, once you conquer the console you can really up your productivity compared to Windows.

Finally you have the Mac. Imo there is no other platform that allows you to be more productive.

If you disagree then fine, I'm not an apple fan boy. However if you have never had any time to play around on a Mac I would suggest popping down to your local Mac store and have a look at what benefits OSX brings to the table .

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by diddy

About vista, time will telll its fate. But office 2007 - that's a fail.
    I was so lost when I first got into Office 2007. But it only took me about an hour to get acquainted with it. With Word, layouts are so much better and easier. Excel is easy too. I think people just like what they are used to. Like any new program it takes some tooling around. (I know, I sound like a Microsoft rep!) Don't get me going with IE though!

Member #
    Mac didn't have right click when i was suing them, so they've obvsiouly improved. Still, pc all the way.

I'm slowly getting used to Office 07, but some stuff like tables are all over the place. I'll get used to it, but did they have to change it THAT much?

I don't think IE is as bad as it is made out to be. It's got its problems (i know only too well) but i think that it's livable. Unlike macs and offic 07. I don't think vista is as bad as everyone makes it out to be either.

Seems as though there is a bit of difference of opinion here!

Member #
    I like 'em all, but I'm sticking to Windows XP right now. I really love .NET and I'm trying to become a .NET developer in the longrun, so Windows it is for me primarily.

I do have an older PowerBook G4 but it's out of date. It only have OS 10.2.8 so I'm lagging behind and it won't run a higher version well due to hardware issues. But I wouldn't go out an buy a Mac just for productivity's sake because it would lower mine significantly.

As a side not I think anyone older than 20 started on a Mac It was just de facto official OS of schools for the longest time it seems, and who really cared about Windows until 3.1 went the way of the dodo?

I began on a Mac when I was like 5 in kindergarten, but that doesn't count. I got more into it around '95 when my mom was doing graphic design and she bought an Apple with Mac OS 5. It pretty much sucked. But since those days it has gotten so much better. Even comparing 10.2.8 to 10.5 or whatever they're on today - it's amazing to see the change. I like it. If I said I liked it because I've been using it for 12 years or however long would be unfairly biased and mostly untrue.

Member #
    I've used Vista for a year and a half... and on Windows since WIndows 95 beta. Prior to Win 95 I was probably the ultimate Mac fanboy. I've never looked back at a Mac and rather doubt I will ever have one or need one.

With all of that being said... I really like Vista, running it with 4mb ram and it purrs right along. I run Photoshop CS3 and Dreamweaver CS3 and am a happy camper.

GeorgeO

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    4 mb of ram?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads