Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey everybody, just letting everyone know I'm new here. I'm a beginner in web design, i know a lot about HTML and CSS but not much about javascript. Right now I'm trying to make a template in photoshop for a website I'm going to make with music theory lessons. If anyone has any tips for me on template building, please let me know.

Member #
    The main things with building any sites are:
    • acessibility
    • content
    • layout
    • visual appeal
    • does it render properly with different browsers, screen sizes, OS etc?
    • is the code up to standard?
    You may want to check out these threads:

http://www.webdesignforums.net/web_d...ite_11773.html
    http://www.webdesignforums.net/web_d...n_ts_7931.html

(welcome to the forums, by the way)

Member #
    There are some tips i quote from someone they said. Hope to help you.
    1. Accessibility
    - Is content structurally separate from navigational elements?
    - Is the website cross-browser compatible?
    - How compliant is the website with W3C coding standards? Valid HTML/CSS?
    - Are 'alt' tags in place on all significant images?
    - Are text-based alternatives in place to convey essential information if this is featured within images or multimedia files?

2. Navigation
    - Are links labelled with anchor text that provides a clear indication of where they lead.
    - Depth - what is the maximum number of clicks it takes to reach a page within the depths of the site?
    - If a splash screen or navigation feature is provided in a Java/Javascript/flash format, is a text-based alternative also available?
    - Responsive onclick feedback - Is a response given immediately (0.1 seconds) after a click is made on a hyperlink?
    - Do clickable items stylistically indicate that they are clickable?
    - Is a logical site map available?
    - If not, is a keyword-based search feature available?

3. Design
    - Is the site's design aesthetically appealing?
    - Are the colours used harmonious and logically related?
    - Are the colour choices visually accessible? (Ie high enough in contrast to assist the colour blind and visually impaired in reading the site appropriately)
    - Is the design audience appropriate?

4. Content
    - Is the website copy succinct but informative?
    - Does the copywriting style suit the website's purpose and 'speak' to its target audience?
    - Are bodies of text constrained to <80 characters per line?
    - Can text be resized through the browser or do CSS settings restrict size alteration?
    - Is the contrast between text and its background colour sufficient to make reading easy on the eyes?
    - Is text broken into small, readable chunks and highlighted using headings, sub-headings and emphasis features where appropriate to assist in skimming.

5. Security
    - Any obvious security flaws?
    - How resilient are forms to special characters?
    - Are private directories password protected via .htaccess?
    - Are public non-document directories (cgi-bin, images, etc) indexable or are blank index.html pages or appropriate permission settings in place to block access?
    - Is customer data stored online? If so, is this database appropriately safeguarded against external access?

6. Other Technical Considerations
    - Does the site load quickly - even for dialup users
    - Are all links (internal and external) valid and active?
    - Are scripts free from errors?
    - Is the website free from server side errors?

7. Other Marketing Considerations
    - Is the website properly optimised for search engines (essential text emphasised, title tags relevant, title text presented in H1, outbound links reliable and contextually related, etc)
    - Does the index page entice a visitor deeper into the site or shopping cart?
    - Does the website contain elements designed to encourage future or viral visitation (ie a contest, newsletter, tell-a-friend feature, forum with subscription option, downloadable toolbar, RSS feed or similar)?

jj1
    Member #
    You might like to check out http://www.squidoo.com/Website-Design-Tips-1 where I illustrate 4 of the top things that I think a good website design should do:
    1 Create visual interest with pictures/photos used in an effective way
    2 Create visual interest/cohesion with borders and shading
    3 Use a good slogan to tell browsers at a glance what your website does and why they should look further
    4 Use headings and subheadings to break the text up.
    There are obviously other things (such as the list quoted above), but these are 4 important points that beginners in web design sometimes tend to overlook.
    Good luck.

Remove Ads