Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    and most of your intern/employee candidates were people who had at least a year of web design experience yet had a plethora of non-web design experiences...

Which transferable *personal/soft skills* skills would you value exclusively?

Which technical skills (such as data entry, filing, managing calls) would you value as well?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Usually I read portfolio with released projects and recomendations

Member #
    I would ask them to show you some of there work first off if they only have 1 year experience. Also i think skills in various programs would be a good sign such as photoshop, dreamweaver etc. or programming languages.

If these people are also the people who are going to do sales then i would look at that. Customer service experience is good for every job. Also Interview and interview again.
    Best of luck.

Member #
    Which transferable *personal/soft skills* skills would you value exclusively?
    User testing, interaction design. And no, it's not the same thing as slapping up code and having it validate.

Sales, marketing and copywriting. And no, an aversion to writing, a disdain for commerce and keyword stuffing isn't the same thing.

Visual merchandising. And no, pretty isn't the same thing.

Client "wrangling" and negotiation, and no, it's not the same thing as doing whatever the clients ask for ... for the lowest price imaginable.

Which technical skills (such as data entry, filing, managing calls) would you value as well?
    Business analysis, merchandising -- like the ability to develop and read a planogram. Project management and working with technical people on technical projects wouldn't hurt.

In summary, all the value adds which web developers don't offer but should.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    When hiring a designer, I don't care what their resume says. I look at their work - that says it all. If their work is superb, I'll give them a week trial. Then I can see them in action. If they can use software like a pro, they're hired. if they have a good eye, but poor technical skills, I'll try to train them for a couple weeks or let them go if they have a poor learning curve.

Member #
    I'm always looking for people with great graphic design and marketing skills.
    My software never has bugs... It just has random features.
    Professional Website Design | Web Site Hosting
    The Green Speak Network | Live Green Forum

Remove Ads