Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    H all!

I'm looking around for a new notebook, but not sure what to buy, as I haven't bought a notebook. I know what specs I'm looking for, but am not sure about the brand. Do you guys recommend or not recommend any brands?
    I like the look of the Toshiba Satellite and Satellite Pro series.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    HP makes good business laptops, Dells are good as well.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My highest recommendation for PCs still goes to Lenovo Thinkpads. Apparently their quality has dropped a bit since IBM stopped making them, but they're still kickass laptops, built to last and with good specs. Personally I used to own an X60 tablet, which was quite an excellent box (even ran Linux quite well hehe).

Now I'm on a MacBook Pro, and I must say I haven't really looked back. I miss some of the tablet features of the X60, but I miss very little about Windows or Linux. Downside is that until Snow Leopard comes out this summer, Apple Mail can't connect to Outlook mail servers, so in a lot of business settings that can be a dealbreaker (assuming you don't want to use the web client). Regardless, the Pros look sexier than just about anything else out there, and once you get used to OS X it's pretty awesome. Plus you get things like Apache out of the box, and just about anything UNIXy can be installed in one way or another on OS X.

Member #
    thanks for your replies.

I'm not needing it for business, as I'm still in school, but do want a powerful machine, but not at a really expensive price.

What are your thoughts on Toshiba? I like HP also, but I find them a bit overpriced.

My specs would be:
    at least 2.4 GHz processor Core 2 Duo
    3 or 4 G ram
    17" screen (or 15.4" is good as well)
    as long as the hard drive is reasonable (over 200 G)
    at least 256 mb graphcs
    you know, the usual stuff. I'm not needing a mainframe or anything but do want a reasonable machine, and my theory is that if I buy an awesome one now, I may not have to replace it as soon later.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfiend
    My highest recommendation for PCs still goes to Lenovo Thinkpads. Apparently their quality has dropped a bit since IBM stopped making them, but they're still kickass laptops, built to last and with good specs. Personally I used to own an X60 tablet, which was quite an excellent box (even ran Linux quite well hehe).

Now I'm on a MacBook Pro, and I must say I haven't really looked back. I miss some of the tablet features of the X60, but I miss very little about Windows or Linux. Downside is that until Snow Leopard comes out this summer, Apple Mail can't connect to Outlook mail servers, so in a lot of business settings that can be a dealbreaker (assuming you don't want to use the web client). Regardless, the Pros look sexier than just about anything else out there, and once you get used to OS X it's pretty awesome. Plus you get things like Apache out of the box, and just about anything UNIXy can be installed in one way or another on OS X.

Hmmm... We've got Lenovo desktops at school, and I use an old IBM notebook for some school work because of my vision. I have to say I've grown to dislike them. They seem to come with a reputation, and I don't like the look of them. They are reasonable business/school machines, but I prefer a more stylish computer experience. The only difference between IBM and Lenovo is the design - they have become less bulky.

I am a mac hater (i'm not going to get into that). Although I do admit they do look pretty good, but that, in my opinion, is all that they have going for them.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Member #
    Ok, just got the Toshiba Satelite P300-05X. Is good so far.

Just got a question though. It's screen resolution is 1440x900 or something like that. What is the best resolution? Because I've heard somewhere that it is best not to keep it on its native resolution.

Also, I can't get the battery meter to show on the task bar. Any ideas on how to get it to show?

I'm running Vista Business SP1.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    No ideas on the battery meter. I don't know who told you native resolution is actually a *bad* idea for an LCD screen, but it's actually a very very good idea. I would advise sticking to 1440x900 unless that's giving you difficulty seeing stuff or something. It's a very convenient amount of screen area and anything different will probably look a tad blurry.

Member #
    Ok, thanks. I might change the size a little lower, like 1280 or something like that so I can see better, but if I'm doing multimedia work I'll change it back to the larger size.

I'll work more on the battery problem.

Thanks again!

Member #
    I prefer DELL
    It has a very good performance..we're actually using it in the office
    and haven't experienced any issues..

Member #
    I've got a dell desktop, and it's pretty good, but I'm in the process of getting new video cards and ram for it, as it is 5 years old. Dell have got pretty good customer support, but I'm not a fan of their laptops. Perhaps their design puts me off.

Anyway, I fixed the battery meter. It just appeared next time I logged on, so I'm not sure what happened, but it's there.

Thanks again to everybody!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads