Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Here an interesting article I stumbled across on the web a few days ago - might be of interest to a couple of people on here

http://www.transhumanist.com/volume1/moravec.htm

What do people think?

https://www.adt.com/resi/programs/customhome_swf/m
    Member #
    Hey, wrote a good article. Have you submit this to any directory. Is there any other volume of it?

Member #
    Very Good man

Member #
    Code:
    <p align="right"><a href="http://www.transhumanist.com/"><font
    face="MS Sans Serif"><strong>Journal of Evolution and Technology</strong></font></a><font
    face="MS Sans Serif"><strong>. 1998. Vol. 1</strong></font></p>
    <hr>

<p align="center"><font size="6">When will computer hardware
    match the human brain?</font></p>

<blockquote>
        <blockquote>
            <blockquote>
                <blockquote>
                    <dl>
                        <div align="center"><center>
                        <dt><font size="2"><em>(Received Dec. 1997)</em></font></dt>
                        </center></div>
                    </dl>
                </blockquote>
            </blockquote>
        </blockquote>
    </blockquote>
    When will his coding come to match modern 2009 semantic order? :laugh:

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    It was written in 1997. :shrug:

Member #
    1997? Well that was cutting edge code back then! This school: http://www.spscc.ctc.edu still teaches HTML from back in 2002. I dropped the class and issued a complaint that the school sucked in programming and design department. They ignored me, and the HTML class has not changed since, at least I know, 2006.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tudorchad
    1997? Well that was cutting edge code back then! This school: http://www.spscc.ctc.edu still teaches HTML from back in 2002. I dropped the class and issued a complaint that the school sucked in programming and design department. They ignored me, and the HTML class has not changed since, at least I know, 2006.
    Something I really don't like is when Universities/colleges don't teach proper web designing, like lots of them still teach tables for page layout. We've had a few questions on here from students studying and they want help on their major projects of web design, and they've been taught that tables is the way to go. Very annoying.

Just getting it out of my system!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I agree schools and colleges nowadays can't provide students with good knowledge, something must be done with it, why not to create a webinar to help them

Member #
    Well, the hardware might be ready in the 2020's, the software should be out of beta around the 23rd century.

Unfortunately, functional A.I. has so discredited itself from failed predictions, the only way to know is to interact with a real A.I. equipped machine intelligence.

This is all "singularity talk," what I call the geek rapture. Full of religious furor and little on-the-ground evidence.

Make a functional voice recognition program prior to 2020. Develop an OS that in some primitive manner acknowledges humans even exist, and can interact with humans without scores of trivial (not to mention nontrivial) annoyances. ...then we'll talk general purpose human-level intelligence.

Expert systems get a little better over time. The AI they're talking about is about ten years away, and has remained exactly one decade away for the last fifty years.

In 1990, based on articles like this, Bill Gates predicted by 1995 the hardware would be so advanced PCs would be sold without keyboards -- cheap, hardware level, reliable voice recognition would handle human-computer interaction. Well, it's 2010 pretty much and we still don't have what Gates predicted for 1995.

Are you still using a keyboard? Is Windows still a human-computer interaction atrocity? Baby steps first. And I don't see web design doing much to advance HCI either.

That's the trouble with people making assumptions about human level, social, interactive intelligence from their Mom's basement. Never let a geek define what's human when their best friend is a computer. You'll get Asperger's level AI who can only be understood, or said to be "human," by the autistic.

There is no developer around who can't bog down the most advanced supercomputer we have today to the level of that same housefly. And that's just to get a spreadsheet to run.

Trouble with all these, Kurzweil included, is nobody makes intermediate predictions that can be confirmed. For example a robot with dog level intelligence by 2014. In reality-land, we have much more advanced computers than when the article was written ...which also just about accomplish the same housefly-level intelligence mentioned in the article.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DC856
    And I don't see web design doing much to advance HCI either.
    Haven't you read up on web 3.0? The web is moving away from presentation-level interfaces and towards data-level interfaces, allowing the "front-end" to be literally "whatever". I expect to see huge leaps forward in web interfacing over the next decade. Look at what they're doing already... Google's iPhone app has very dependable speech recognition. You hit a button, say what you're looking for, and Google spits back results. That's pretty huge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads