Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Greetings all!
    I am about to graduate with my Associates Degree in Multi-Media Webdesign, I choose the Web Design track. However due to having not enough teachers, they are terminating the web design track at my college! Thus, there is no Bachelors in web design, the only degree related to programming (what i want to do) is Information Technology, with two tracks, Networking and Software Engineering.

Now for my question: Is anyone here a Software Engineer? Is it like programming websites at all? I always saw myself being a web designer so i'm worried about going for this degree, they even want me to pay for an extra quarter of prerequesites (Like C++ classes) to prepare myself for the degree. Does this sound like the right degree for me?

A lot of my current teachers told me I should go for this degree b/c i alrdy have a lot of knowledge about web design, im currently getting really good at PHP and Ruby on Rails.
    I love to program but I have no idea what i'm getting myself into, its a $42,000 degree so i want to be sure!

Is programming software at all like websites??

Thanks folks,
    Mike

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Well there are similarities between coding for websites and coding programs, but it depends on what you really want to do. Since you're already doing PHP and RoR, you'll see similarities in C++ and Java. Best bet is to audit one or 2 of the classes, and pick up a C++ book, and see if you like it. Ultimately getting a programming degree won't stop you from coding websites, and there are programming applications where knowing how to do both will come in handy.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads