Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Should we update the look of WDF and delete the functionality listed below?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, do it! The looks are more important!

2 50.00%
  • No, don't do it! I prefer the custom functionality!

2 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Hi Guys,

I posted this a while back - a look at our new design for WDF v.6: http://www.webdesignforums.net/annou...ide_30248.html

However, I haven't updated the look yet, because the current WDF has a lot of custom programming and hooks that are getting in the way.

I'm thinking about dumping all the customizations and just installing the latest version of vBulletin, then skinning that and importing the posts and users from the current WDF.

WHAT WE WOULD LOSE:
    1. All points you've earned for helping people will be gone. The entire system will disappear. We may replace it with another one in the future, but a standard plugin, not the custom one we have here.
    2. The existing article / tutorial system will disappear. We will build a new one in the future, but for now, we won't have any tutorial capabilities.
    3. Website Ratings and Reviews will be a normal forum. All currently rated sites will turn into normal sites. I'll try to get the URLs moved into the posts, but can't guarantee that.
    4. Probably some other things that I haven't thought of.

So please think about this and vote for your choice and post your opinion. It's important to us!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    1. They're not just reputation points?
    2. There are article system mods for vBulletin. Haven't looked for one in over a year, but I'd imagine some are still around.
    3. Append the URL field onto the subject line perhaps?

While I like the forum as it is currently, there's been a lot of improvements to the back and front end of vB since we've updated. Galleries, social groups, improved plugin system, etc.

I'm leaning a bit towards an update, but I'd like to spend some time to see how easy / hard it would be to move over the custom mods.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I think the custom mods would take longer than I'm willing to invest. The main things we would lose are the points system and ratings system.... I think what you gain with 3.8 outweighs that.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Anyone else have an opinion? :-/

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Thread will appear on the main page tomorrow to garner more attention
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I personally found this forum, and signed up, BECAUSE of the rating system.
    Now I realize that submit a site, sometimes people dont rate much, they just leave comments instead. However, it is a main interest point for people. I would try to keep the rating system if thats possible

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have a related question -- you mentioned what we lose, but what do we gain? I agree that the reputation system is pretty important here. It's probably the best one I've come across.

But mainly, before voting on whether or not to switch, I'd like to know what we gain by switching, rather than simply what we lose. Seems like an unfair decision otherwise

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    We gain a new look and all the new features of vB 3.8 - social groups, better interface, etc.

We could probably replace the custom stuff with existing hooks, too, but they would definitely not be AS functional. E.g. ratings might be one-dimensional and reputation may be linear.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Social Group Discussions, Categories
    More Discussions, Private Messaging
    Private Message History / Social Group Icons

Full Feature List - Note that some of it won't be relevant due to being back end stuff.

You can always start or join a Social Group and add pics to it from your album.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Bump. Any other voters?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads