Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Do any of you Notepad++ users know if it is possible to configure it to work with WAMP such that using the built in Open in Firefox function (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-X) will open the file via localhost?

I know it is lazy but it would definitely be nicer if I could make that work rather than manually typing the http://localhost/path/to/myfilename every time.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Works fine for me using notepad++ v5.2.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I'm using version 5.4.3 which is the latest build.

It works fine for html files, because it will open the file in the path file:///C:/path/to/my/filename

But it won't open php files via localhost. That's what I'm wondering if it can be done, and if so, how.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Oh, you're using PHP, I was only testing via HTML. Silly question, but is WAMP (Apache) running?
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    That's not a silly question...that happens enough. But, yes, in this case it is indeed running.

There has to be some way to tell notepad to serve the localhost url rather than the local filename to the browser for it to work. And there may be no way, I'm just not sure.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    I don't think you can, because even if Notepad+ is associated with viewing the source code of a website, it's really just looking at the cache of it on your computer. It has no way of discerning a cached file from one within WAMP's directory. It has no idea what a web server is for that matter.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    It is possible and I'm surprised there has been no plugin made to simplify the process. But you can come close by using the Run Command and Saving Shortcuts.

Basically, you type this in the Run command:

firefox "http://localhost/path/to/$(FILE_NAME)

So, for example:

firefox "http://localhost/webdesignforums/$(FILE_NAME)

would open the currently active file that you are working on from the webdesignforums folder.

You can then save this Run action and give it a keyboard shortcut.

Notepad++ also give you a variable for the full path but that is not useful in this situation since I want to leave out the C://wamp/www/ part.

If we could set up a custom variable to be just //localhost/current-subdirectory/current-filename, that would be really convenient. But at least I've figured out how to make life a little easier.

Remove Ads