Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey Guys and Gals,

Please don't beat me up here after just one post.

Here's my story. I studied Commercial Photography and Creative Arts at Dawson in Montreal and graduated in 1990 or so. From this point, I took a 20 year detour working in a Pharmecutical company in Montreal because it paid well and we had a baby on the way and a mortgage to pay and a steady income is what I really needed at the time....

Now 20 years later, the company has been sold and I'm thinking about taking the web design course offered at Herzing in Montreal. I've always wanted to do this and the course would be paid for by the company I work for. I love computers, interested in E commerce(own small business) and am still into photography, and also do stained glass, glass fusion and other fun stuff.

When I talked to the admissions counceller at Herzing College, she claimed the most of the students find jobs quickly with the assistance of the placement program.

What I'd like to know is if they're throwing me a curveball. I'd like to do something creative that I can actually work in. I've done mindless testing for many years and it bores me to death...
    Any comments or testimonials ? Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

Member #
    I would be very wary of this and make sure that as a professional already you carry out the neccesary research needed to make sure that you are not going to be conned. Also, I dont know if you can afford to stay at home and learn HTML/CSS and Photoshop and Illustrator etc but I stayed at home earning nothing, basically just being a bum for a year before I even created my first website. I found this to be totally fulfilling as I missed alot of what theses so called courses aim at you, which to be honest you wouldnt really use. I dont know what everyone else thinoks but I think you can learn more at home learning from tutorials and the plethera of people on here who will always be glad to help just as they were when they started. Find some good tut sites and you will be on your away. I am now working how to make my sites more structured with programming such as forms and stuff...Good Luck and you will be fine...Just stick with it.

Member #
    What I'd like to know is if they're throwing me a curveball.
    Probably. Let me shed some light on how this works.

The place I went to boasted something like 98% placement. When I went for placement, during a recession, what I got was a woman who opened up the Classified section of the paper.

After find a job on my own, I got a call from my instructor asking if I found a job. Not a job in the field I trained for -- any job.

My nose tells me take apart that placement rate, and you'll find anybody who got any job, anywhere. ...for any wage.

It's hard to tell about this particular program. But it may not cover any value added skill whatsoever, just simple coding. Web design is a notoriously over commoditized industry. The only thing more of a commodity is web design classes promising to give you a good career.

At the very best, you might find a program which gets you into competition with TemplateMonster specials at $25 per site. At more common worst you'll get an internship at zero pay. Hey, you found a job ...it's your fault if you failed to specify paying jobs.

Remove Ads