Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey, guys. I'm some random high school sophomore in the US who randomly discovered the world of web design when I was a little 11 year old girl wandering on the internet bumping into Geocities. Not really a professional I guess, but I made my first website, and I never stopped learning more about making websites since.

Lately, I've wanted to go off to offer my skills/services/whatever you call them to other people, so I heard about my high school robotics team needing a new website, and I sent some emails to some random people who manage the team and whatnot offering help. Showed them some of the random websites I've made/am working on, and I asked a few random questions about how they wanted their team to come across in a website and blah blah blah.

I never got a response, but I heard from a friend later that the president of Robotics team told him to tell me that they needed a new website finished in like two weeks. So I just decided to whip up something simple that I figured was better than what they already had before, and I sent off the to them. They later replace the design of the site with a random template downloaded from somewhere off the internet, and I hear from a different friend this time that the robotics team people were having trouble getting the files I sent them to work, so I send an email offering to help with any problems.

I never got a reply, so I decided to just give up on the whole thing, but now, a month later, I heard about the brand new robotics site the team president made himself. I am curious, so I visit, and I see the old domain redirects to a slow-loading site made by.... Wix. If you've ever seen the advertisement. I was greatly insulted, but I followed suit and sent the president a message giving him my kudos for working on the site himself.

But, seriously.. there's tons of professional web designers here. You guys know about dealing with clients and whatnot, and I'm sure this sort of thing happens decently often. T_T I kinda wanna just give up on Robotics Team because I was offering to help for free, but every time I see that Wix site, a little piece of me dies inside.

And everytime I hear someone compliment the new robotics site, I think "....it was worse than it was originally." As an insecure little teenager, I start to question myself and hope my taste isn't just so bad that I can't see that Wix sites are just as good as anything I'd ever make. D:

But then I remember I'm the one with the experience, but really... how do you convince someone that their taste in websites just flat out fails?

Edit: Sorry if you saw a huge un broken glob of text. I was new to this forums and assumed it used nl2br()

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    i wouldnt waste time on it. your time would be better spent on projects that dont stress you out. the only time a site is worth stress is when money is involved and even then it depends on how much money. and fyi, giving files to anyone who doesnt have a firm grip on IT and design will always mess things up then assume it is your work. the best way to present your work is to get it live on a server then give them the url. volunteer to assist in the migration so they dont botch it up.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Who's Wix?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    lol. its a flash based site designer. very shiny but also very limited.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Remove Ads