Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    I have worked hard over the years to build some good content and get good photos for my site www.waikoloavacationrentals.com
    Just recently I have ran into a lot of issues with people copying material from my site.
    Just recently I had someone pretty much copy one of my entire pages, www.waikoloavacationrentals.com/halii-kai-rentals This includes the text and even the header.
    What are the proper steps to take to have people remove stuff copied directly from your site?
    Rob Dalton (Kolea Rentals)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Get a lawyer to draft you a generic cease & desist letter to issue to people who copy stuff.

Then write to Google: http://www.google.com/dmca.html

That should do it.

Member #
    it can be near impossible to get caught up fighting every single article theif, the reality is that after you go after one, there are already 10 more and so on. my best suggestion is to just keep driving in the traffic and watch profits soar

Eve
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Prepare to make DMCA notices part of your web career. You can issue notices to their host to take down their websites.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Just a note. Before firing off a DMCA, talk to the owner of the site its on. Drop them an email asking them to remove it, and explain that unlike Wikipedia, you don't allow people to duplicate your content.

In most cases they will remove it and apologize. If they don't, then send a DMCA to the host - the person deserves to have their site taken offline if they refuse to cooperate.

Send it over to the major search engines too. Theres a (slim) chance they will delist the offending pages.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Ask them to remove it, and most the time they will but taking the DMCA way is a pain in the ***. If you wanted you could say it's ok for you to use my content but you have to link but to yoursite could be an easy way to get some quality back links?
    I run a local SEO & Web Designer. Business Web Designs

Member #
    Agreed

It would be wise to shoot them an email first....most people don't realize that original content shouldn't be "borrowed". Once you bring it to their attention, they will usually comply. If not, then threaten them with the letter......

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I have had this happen too.

There is a site called Copyscape - I can't post links yet but I'm sure you'll find it easily enough.

I use it from time to time - and recently found out that several of my blog posts had been copied - word-for-word - and no credit given.

I e-mailed the people involved and they turned out to be newbies who had no idea what they were doing - they felt if it was on a blog it was in the public domain, and free game for anyone to use. They were very polite, and rather than take it off, agreed to give credit and a link back, and since then have been just posting a link to the post on my site when they feel I have written something worth sharing.

I know this is a different thing than having a section of a site copied, but it can end up actually doing you some good, as in linkbacks etc., but I wonder if a linkback from someone who knowingly copies a website is a good thing? I guess it has to be judged on a case-by-case basis.

Good luck,
    AlphaMare
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare View Post
    I use it from time to time - and recently found out that several of my blog posts had been copied - word-for-word - and no credit given.
    That's people using the wordpress feed plugin. They enter links to blog's RSS feeds and it steals content. Report them to their host as its highly unethical. If you cant find who their host is, PM the address and I'll do some digging.

Member #
    this is the problem with internet... information are easy to copy and borrow which is even difficult to trace whose really the owner of the content. Yes, i do agree with the rest, you better email those people steals your content before following them up a letter from your lawyer. That might solve the problem.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads