Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    The twitter-sphere was alive with buzz yesterday as the world patiently awaited a 'big announcement' from Kier Darby, former lead developer of vBulletin, once the biggest and best forum system on the web.

Well, Kier did not disappoint. Early this morning xenForo was announced, a brand new modern forum system built from the ground up.

As you may or may not know, vBulletin took a rapid decline after being bought out by Internet Brands, a large corporation who seem to only care about one thing - money. With poor development timelines, a complete lack of planning, and developers who don't know what they are doing, vB's future looks bleak.

We all know that when vB was being developed by Jelsoft, it ran smoothly, despite it being a rather dated system.

xenForo, is what vBulletin 4 should have been; modern, clean, uncluttered and very, very fast!

Whilst its not been released yet, you can take it for a spin on the official xenForo community forums, located here: XenForo Community

WDF will be evaluating the software when it is officially released and look forward to possibly upgrading to it some time next year.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Great community over there. What's your opinions on what you see so far?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Is it just me or does anyone else think that is kind of ugly. I find the readabilty on this forum much better.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The general concensus is that the readability's fine, but it's not a landslide or anything. Keep in mind it's an Alpha release, but already has some awesome features.
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Great community over there. What's your opinions on what you see so far?
    I think I can see us using it here in the future

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Damn, today's been a busy day!

Internet Brands, who bought Jelsoft, the creators of vB, is going to be acquired for $640 million!
    Internet Brands Inc to be acquired by Hellman & Friedman Stockholders for $640million

XenForo has announced that the beta is targeted for the first week in October (with special pricing).
    Beta Release Date and Pricing | XenForo Community
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    To sum up:

vB is likely to die a horrible slow death...private equity companies exist for one purpose: To extract as much money as possible, then sell off the remains.

On the flip side, the 'true vBulletin 4' which Kier and Mike have been trying to develop for the last 4 years is about to be released as 'XenForo'

Just a note to members: WDF will be moving to XenForo (when depends on how long it takes for it to 'go gold' and how long it will take us to re-code the specitic mods we use. We're already forced to stick with a version of vB which is due to be discontinued within a couple of months. Since vBulletin 4 is bug ridden it's not an option.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Just got my copy of XF
    The Rules

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    You see....if we were running XF I could *like* your post above

Member #
    I have never been able to tell the difference between most forum services, and am most familiar with InvisionFree/IPB (for some reason I imagine that gets a bad reputation). What makes this XF thing so good?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads