Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    So..... here i am, hater of all things CMS. And i was wondering, could I build a CMS? Doesn't look so hard.
    I have gotten a basic framework done a far as functionality, BUT! What do other people that use CMSs need for an interface? what are the most commonly used parts of joomla or wordpress? What attracts people to them. So if you could....

What do you like about a CMS?

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I haven't found much, if anything, that I like about CMSes that I haven't built myself. But here are two things I would like to see from a CMS as a developer.

1) Don't call it a CMS. I know it's the common phrase, but it really sounds awful. Call it a self-administration, call it anything, but don't call it a CMS. It has such a negative connotation in my own mind. Mind you, that's just me.

2) Build something that doesn't significantly slow down people who know what they're doing when it comes to inclusion of content. One of the weakest aspects of any so-called CMS is that it takes 10 times longer for people who know how to build websites to actually manipulate the content than it would to code it themselves.

With the possible exception of WordPress, all of the CMSes I've tried have failed miserably in that regard. And since WordPress is incredibly hackable, I don't ever intend to form a full opinion in its usability.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    LMAO. sweet. actually i start work later today on the icon of a can with www on it. i plan on calling it "Canned Websites" or PHRAMEWORKS

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Canned websites...I like it!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I prefer having such systems for managing websites being customized and done according to my needs. I also don't like the so called 'ready-made' solutions. Most of them don't work as every site has some specific traits.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    what if it was "Front end developer" friendly.what if you could build a page in a word suit and save it as html or txt, upload it and it became a page.?automatically took the <style> and made it a css file and added a <link to the framework. detected html in the upload and automatically turned on the advanced editor? automatically detects css files and builds a css file and added a <link? allowed you to add a head or css line for just one page? resized content images on upload and left css images as is? switched to a simple text editor for clients and typical users? just an idea i was having.

Member #
    I like the fact that cms's are group movements and everybody is making plugins for each platform.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorky View Post
    So..... here i am, hater of all things CMS. And i was wondering, could I build a CMS? Doesn't look so hard.
    I have gotten a basic framework done a far as functionality, BUT! What do other people that use CMSs need for an interface? what are the most commonly used parts of joomla or wordpress? What attracts people to them. So if you could....

What do you like about a CMS?
    A CMS is handful for non-technical people who will not understand you asking them to modify an HTML page, or uploading to FTP, they want something very simple, edit text, add news and images, click submit...and BANG its online!

Remove Ads