Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There are so many apps in the App Store and its number is increasing from day to day. So, my question is how many of you use such apps and what for? For business, pleasure, doing sport, listening to music, etc.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not me. If I work from home for the most part, then I don't need my cell phone for anything other than occasional use. Since I live in a country where a web browsing plan for a cell phone costs $15/month unless I want to lock into an ironclad borderline Satanic contract, and since I either have access to several free hotspots throughout the Greater Toronto Area with my laptop, know the passwords to the routers of several friends and relatives, or know where there are several free unsecured routers that I can tap into if need be, I'm not going down the "web browsing with my phone" route any time soon.

And yes, I pay for my own Internet connection. I'm not THAT much of a jerk.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    No, I don't believe in apps. If we all stop believing, maybe they will cease to exist - or was that Tinkerbell?

Seriously - I am with TheGame on this. Canada has TERRIBLE (all caps intended!) cell phone plans and unless and until the usury stops I'm sticking to voice-only, and evenings and weekends at that!

Last September, when my daughter went to Kentucky for the World Equestrian Games, we bought a one-month roaming plan for her for $64.00. She had a great time, phoned me every day and sent tons of video and photos to me and her friends. When the bill came in it was $1012.49!!!
    I went ballistic and got right on it - only to be told that the roaming plan did not cover "data" and that video was considered data and she had in fact racked up that much. I argued, wrote -emails, sent registered mail, and ultimately had to pay it or they would have cut off her phone - and since I had given it to her as a birthday gift I felt it would be crappy to have it cut off after only a couple of months.

Needless to say, we are extremely careful about how we use the phones now!!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Sounds like your phone company starts with a B, AlphaMare. I had a cell phone with those idiots once and they tried to bill me a $700 call to Germany. I told them to prove that I'd made it (impossible since I don't even know anyone in Germany), and they told me to pay it and they'd investigate and give me the money back if it was warranted. I cancelled the phone then and there and told them I was disputing the bill.

That was about 7 years ago now. I don't think they're pursuing things further.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    This thread has gone off topic from the OP's post about Apps....but I wanna respond on both parts

On Phone Networks:

Fortunately we're not too bad with networks here in the UK. They all use the same standards, heck some share cell towers. For instance Orange and T-Mobile (both two of the poorest quality networks I might add) have joined up to share signals if either have a blackspot or low signal area.

In addition our plans are relatively cheap in comparison. As an example Tesco (our countries largest supermarket chain) offer unlimited data (1gb fair usage cap tho)200 texts and 200 minutes for 5.00 /month (approx. $8.80 USD)

O2, our largest and most reliable phone network offers things such as unlimited texts, data and 2000 minutes voice for around 15 /month (~$26 USD) and these are month-to-month contracts that you can get out of whenever you like.

As for apps, we can download them fine via our 3g networks...never seem to get overages or anything. My current mobile network (T-Mobile) regularly allows me to pull 8GB or more a month with not so much as a warning. I pay 20/month but am looking at reducing this to around 10 by switching networks.

On Apps: I love Apps. I've made a bunch myself which are in the iTunes Appstore. I find some of the games good fun if you are hanging around waiting or cant sleep...never really use them during the day however. I do like that you can get a free satnav app - pretty useful at times.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I always knew I'd rather live in England - how's the reception in north Yorkshire, anyone know?

and OK - since Word Mole is an app, then I guess I'm in...

P.S. - (still off-topic but it has to be said) -TheGame - that "B" company? I hate it that it is also my last name, and to make matters worse, my initials are -honest! - M.A.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Sue them for name infringement, then.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I know I'm no spring chicken, but I do believe they had it first...

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by andr104 View Post
    There are so many apps in the App Store and its number is increasing from day to day. So, my question is how many of you use such apps and what for? For business, pleasure, doing sport, listening to music, etc.
    i download an app every couple of days, usually games, buiness, or news related apps, i think creating apps is a very successful business if the App is addign something to the user and exciting.

Member #
    I use the Android market to download apps, some of them are really handy on a daily basis.

Remove Ads