Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey everyone
    I am doing a website for a band and they want to sell their album through the website. I don't think there would be much point setting up a whole shopping cart for them. Does anyone know of a better way to sell it?
    I'm new to web design and haven't worked with shopping carts yet.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey

well what you could do is, simply get them to set up a paypal account, so people can go to their site and buy the album through paypal, it's a lot cheaper than an inbuilt shopping cart.

to promote the album, it's a good idea to do a lot of social bookmarking - target sites like Digg, Tumblr, Facebook, StumbleUpon and others, a lot of people browse them everyday.
    getting some of their music onto a local radio station would help a lot too - a small one I mean not a corporate one.
    after that it's all up to good marketing on their part.
    and having some talent helps

Member #
    Thanks for the reply, I decided I was just going to use the paypal account for them.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh brilliant.
    I thought you may have, has been a week since the post but there were no replies so I couldn't be sure.
    good luck with that

Member #
    thanks again

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Be very, very careful with PayPal, especially since you're selling soft goods and can't get a signature...unless you're actually sending the CD (in which case you want a signature with delivery if you can get it). I've had disputes on both sides of the fence with PayPal, and they are definitely slanted in favor of the customer, which is great if you're buying things but terrible if you're a merchant.

Google Checkout might be an alternative you'd want to look at. I have no experience with them in any capacity, though, so I don't necessarily endorse them, nor do I have anything negative to say about them.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for that. That's good to know. It will be the cd that they are sending out so I'll pass on that info to them. I'll take a look at google checkout as well.
    thanks again

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's good. Hard goods will lead to much fewer chargebacks than soft goods.

Again, and I can't stress this enough, get the signature option on delivery. I actually had a now-former client who refused to do that and got charged back a few times and blamed me for it...even though I told them to do it. It's all too easy to say you didn't get something when you didn't sign for it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    this is why i keep logs of everything that hits my site and what they do while on it. also the host i use keeps logs as well and can be considered an impartial witness. an email confirmation of the purchase is good too.

while($get_it !== true){ continue; }

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That helps somewhat and is good practice, but PayPal doesn't take logs into consideration (at least they haven't when I've used them). One of the reasons I don't like them very much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads