Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am curious as to what some web designers and developers that work in the industry have done to get the jobs they are at now...

I am currently looking for an internship this summer....

any help appreciated

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Times have changed from the past. I know a lot of people who are trying to break into CS/IT and I think everyone is doing it all wrong.

This is an opinion from someone who broke into accounting without family/friend help, so take it with a grain of salt. I find that it's a lot easier to find the companies that offer an environment for you to work in and cold-call lunch/meeting at their convenience.

It sounds sketchy and may scare you, but believe me, accounting jobs are ALL the same. Qualifications are ALL the same. You get a call if you stand out, and standing out = making the first move (imo).

Best of luck,

Charles
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's not that bad an opinion. I also think everyone is doing it all wrong.

If you go out there and send your resume and cover letter everywhere and apply for the jobs everyone else does, guess what? Your odds are that much longer that you'll actually find what it is that you're after. People will go through thousands of resumes and cover letters and not actually get to know you.

I wouldn't go the cold-calling route myself because I think it's an archaic form of marketing, but there are ways to break into web design/development without having to resort to that. For example, you can apply for a job in retail, learn how the store works, learn about the products, and then use that knowledge to build the website once your boss sees what a great salesperson you are. Then use the first website as a springboard to other things.

That's more or less how I got my start in web design (except that it wasn't retail).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads