Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,

Let me start off by saying that I have not made a webpage in 13 years (grade 7), back when HTML was the hottest thing going.

I created a tennis group on facegroup and it caught on fire amongst a lot of people. I figure it's best to create a webpage to do the following:
    - advertise the idea
    - showcase new/existing members
    - allow real-time scheduling (any member can access a calandar and start a match themselves)
    - allow real-time posting (similar to blogging)

These are the parameters that I would like the website to function under.

Where do I begin? Do I need to use Flash? What are recommended hosting sites/templates, etc.

I appreciate all help.

Thank you,

Charles

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't think you're gonna find anything from a template point of view for that. There's just too much there. Now, since you're new to web design, I'm going to suggest things I normally wouldn't just so you can set up your site as easily as possible. In the long run, though, you're going to want to learn a programming language and customize this yourself.

Calendar: Maybe Google Docs would work for that in the short run.
    Posting: I can't believe I'm saying this, but WordPress. Update this regularly, though. It's very insecure. Of the three sites I've ever worked on that were hacked, two of them were WP sites.
    Showcase of members: I can't think of anything quick and easy that would do that.

At some point, you'll have to learn these things:

1) A server-side programming language. I'd recommend VB.net myself just because I like programming languages that resemble English, although PHP would serve your needs as well in all likelihood.

2) Tableless layouts and CSS.

They're only two things, but they're both an absolute pain in the *** and will take you years of frustration to master.

Now, as far as hosting goes:

www.sectorlink.com

Awesome hosts, and they're very understanding of newcomer mistakes, or even mistakes by people like me who should know better (they forgave me for accidentally coding an endless loop that froze a server back in 2003).

Flash? Avoid it. Anything that requires a plugin should never be used for the core aspects of your site.

Hopefully that covers everything.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This is now a summer project and I really feel that webdesign is invaluable.

I'll post domain, etc, when I get the ball rolling and periodically post updates.

For now, the major chore I have is integrating google docs; would a simple link work? Our university is now using gmail as server to host their email (as opposed to about 100 different servers, for hundreds of different subgroups (fac, fac staff, facx, etc).

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That part I wouldn't be able to help you on. I don't have a use for it myself as anything I'd build like this I'd build myself, and I'm not a big fan of putting information "into the cloud"...I'd rather have my own security measures in place.

But that's me. I'm an odd duck that way.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Anh
    Member #
    welcome to the forum

Remove Ads