Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Hello all, I figured the community would be of great help in helping me decide on a tablet. The tablet will be primarily used for two purposes.

A: An easy and cool way to show clients a website.
    B: A Gaming device.

I was just about to get the new Blackberry Playbook as i'm a big RIM fan, but the small screen size and lack of native apps was a big turn off.

Next is the Samsung Galaxy tab. Bigger than the playbook, but is it big enough? Runs Android, which I know about but have never experimented with before. I've even read about some killer GBA and PSX emulators for android.

Last is the Ipad/Ipad 2. I'm torn with this one. It's so sleek and pretty with a beautiful screen and UI. With that said, no native flash, poor web standards support (although I heard the iPad 2 is better now), and I can't stand the apple store, and how apple locks downs it's hardware. If i want to install 3rd part apps, let me!

Is there another tablet I should be considering? Price is also important. I don't want to have to spend much more than $500 on this. So far i'm leaning towards the Galaxy.

As i'm writing this i'm also looking at the Xoom.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Asus is coming out with the new Eee Pad in the next week or two. It looks pretty promising.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    eBay.
    Unbranded electronics.
    Find clone tablet that resembles what you want.
    Pay 1/10th the price.
    Wait three weeks for it to arrive from Hong Kong.
    Laugh at idiots who spent 3 or 4 digits on theirs when you spent 2 on yours.
    Thank GAME by using the money you saved to buy him stuff.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    LOL Game. I am considering this. I want one that I can easily install my own or 3rd party stuff on though, so it looks like Android is the OS I need. Do these clones use Android, or are the OS's cloned too?

And Ronald, i've never even heard of the eee pad! Looking it up now!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    No idea on that. I'm not a tablet or cell phone guy by nature. I don't like the idea of giving one of Satan (Bell) or Satan Jr. (Rogers) any more money than I absolutely have to.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Trust me I know (Telus).
    That was one of my original draws to the Playbook. I can tether it to my blackberry torch so I can use my current data plan instead of needing to purchase an additional.

I'm just a little worried about purchasing a clone if it is not running a full version of Android (preferably 3.0, honeycomb).

Also, looked up the eee and it looks pretty good! The drawback for me on it is that its too much of a halfway between netbook and tablet.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    http://www.canadacomputers.com/advan...lter_id=ARCHOS

Just came in my email 10 minutes ago.

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    I would go with the Galaxy, I was looking at it the other day, BAD ***!!!

I would never own anything Apple, except from some stock I have. Actually thinking about liquidating that.
    TheGAME1264 and Harmonic like this.
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Another option is getting the Nook Color. From what I've heard they're set by default to boot off of the SD card, so it's really easy to unlock them. You can find them pre-unlocked on eBay, or you can look it up online and do it yourself.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Thanks Wired, but i'm not really looking for a 'reader' so much.

I was looking at the Galaxy as well Mike and it looks pretty sweet, but so far I think the Xoom is the best. Its selling for ~$600 everywhere, but I've found a few on Ebay for ~$450. I put in a few bids (never used ebay before..) so we'll see what happens. I can live with around 500 + shipping. 600 is far too much!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads