Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi all,

I'm wanting to get into web design/web development. Can anyone tell me where I should start? Which programming languages should I learn. Should I use wordpress? I want to create nice websites, so I don't mind putting in the work to ensure I offer good, quality services.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Start with (X)HTML and CSS. Regardless of any programming languages you learn, these will always be used to render a web page.

Then learn Javascript. There's a lot of cool stuff you can do there.

As far as programming languages, you can start with either ASP.net or PHP. I personally prefer ASP.net because I'm not a PHP fan, but to each their own.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hi Batiste,

First of all, I want to say all the best for the new step.
    Now a day, there is a huge opportunity in web world.

As per my view, Web design and web development are not same things. You have to forward your step one by one.

At first, you should to practice web design at Photoshop. When, you will think you are a good web designer then think about web development.

I agree with TheGAME1264, start XTML, HTML and CSS, because the languages are mother language of web world. After that, learn about PHP, .Net, .Asp, java etc….

I think PHP, Java and .Net; the three languages are going good….so concentrate on these languages

Regards
    Jenny

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I think most everyone would agree, HTML, (X)Html, CSS for basics of layout and structure....

Once you've gotten comfortable with that, Understanding Javascript is a must as you will find small bits of javascript can be very powerful.

Next look at the common scripting languages, ASP (Yes I'm an old timer), ASP.NET, Php... All of which can have a very steep learning curve... but if you find a way to learn easier ( some people are on-line learners, some are book, some are visual with trial and error ) find the way that works best for you and dive in...

You mentioned Wordpress, you can install wordpress from many hosting providers control panels, and you can upload hundreds of different templates to get different looks.

A good web designer will create his own templates, whereas a good web developer would build all of the scripting components or re-write the code to make it work for them. It's rare to find a good web designer with good web development skills and visa versa... but they do happen...

Good luck... and have fun...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Someone else rocks the ASP knowledge? NICE.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yeah, too bad it's going the way of the dinosaur... just waiting for the EOL notice from MS anyday now... Probably won't even run on next years server platforms...( doesn't come installed on Server 2008, but you can install it after it's up )

Just got a full copy of Visual Studio... now just gotta find time to convert a butt load of apps...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, I had to install it myself on my IIS7 box. Mind you, any new site I build is generally an ASP.net site just because of that, so it's only the older sites that have to worry about that, and not for a while yet (I just got an Windows Server 2008 dedicated box in December, so I'm at least 5-6 years away from this being a real problem.)

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Last thing Micro$haft put out that actually worked was DOS, and guess what, they bought that from SCP. Sorry not a big MS fanboi. I will now fade into the shadows before GAME strikes me with his Broad Sword of Proprietary Superiorness. LOL
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    * SLICE *

To each their own, I guess. I'm partly that way because I have absolutely no time for the parrots who make up the majority of the anti-MS crowd and don't have any original arguments or thoughts of their own to bring to the table.

If you don't like it, and you have reasons not to like it that are based on your actual experiences and you can explain them clearly in your own words, that's one thing. But most people can't, and the whining and complaining is one of those things that makes me want to sock people in the mouth.

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    Yo GAME, dont get me wrong,

I am posting this on a windows PC, therefore I use at least one MS product.

Putting aside the fact that I still have every operating system MS has put out, in its original "Genuine" media, starting with MS-DOS 3.2 (lots of floppies still around this household)

I have given MS lots of my money over the years, and my overall experience has been less than great.

Let me point out a few of the things I have purchased, or used from MS, and my take on the experience:

MS-DOS= Not bad at all, does what it is supposed to do.
    MS-WIN 3 series= Lame
    MS-WIN 95 series= A little less Lame
    MS-WIN 98 series= Hummm, OK I guess
    MS-WIN XP series= Good towards the end
    MS-WIN VISTA= Need I say more
    MS-WIN 7= so far so good

The fact that MS insists in using the customer as their QC department irritates me to no end, yet over the years, i keep supporting them, just cause I am a PC junkie.

Microsoft is a necessary evil, love em hate em, whatever!

If it wasnt because half the time what you purchase from them is half baked, I would not mind so much.
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads