Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    -Charter Business Class Internet
    -16Mbps Down
    -2Mbps Up
    -Free Modem
    -1 Static IP address
    -Unlimited Bandwidth
    -3hr tech support
    -1yr commitment $84.99/month

Somebody else would be paying $10 of it so it would cost me $74.99 is that a good deal?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If you're planning on hosting... you should try and negotiate a better upload speed... cause that is equivalent to download speeds for your visitors...

Price is about average... not bad... not great...

See if they can split the download with upload speed to 8 and 8 ( yeah I know it's less than total)... but to get them to provide you 8 up... you gotta give up something....

The pricing is structured as such to make you think ( great 16 down )... but if you're running a site... and you get plenty of traffic that 2 up is gonna bog down...

are those rates asynchronous ( can download at 16 at the same time upload at 2 without affecting the other ).... or is it capped at 16... but the 16 is downgraded by 2 when there are uploads happening ?

You may have to pay a little more for the split plan ( if they even offer it )... but worth it in the end...

otherwise... they'll just kick you to the next tier for more money just to get more upload capacity

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Cable companies can't split the lines like that. That's not a line meant for hosting.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Unfortunately it turns out they acn not provide service in my area they were so nice and helpful on the phone and he said i could run a web server just fine

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Dude, you're talking to a sales guy. It doesn't matter what you ask them, they'll tell you that they can do it.

"Want to put the modem in a dank cellar and run a 100-foot cable out the side of your building and along a tree branch? Yeah, we can do that."
    "You're looking for dry DSL service in an area that doesn't allow for regular DSL? Oh yeah, we can do that."
    "You want to run a web server? Yeah, our connection will support it on your static IP."

Never ask the sales guys, kid. Ask the techs. If there's any possibility that it can't be done, they'll be the ones to tell you. They don't give a crap.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Don't run a webserver on that connection.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, I wouldn't either...unless it was a private dev server. I've done that without issue. Mind you, that was years ago and there's no point now.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    It will save me money in the long run. And I will gain valuable experience running servers, since in a few years I plan to have a small datacenter and computer repair shop, so now's the time to learn!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Anyway, I'll be getting the 15Mbps down/3up cable internet instead. it's $40

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    One of my suppliers does that...runs a datacenter inside of his store for backups for one of the largest insurance underwriters in Canada (I think they're #4 or #5). Kind of a weird setup.

The owner's problem problem is he's in what I call "computer alley"...a whole block of computer stores and repair shops, all of which are competing for pennies on the dollar. I'd say that there's more or less a full turnover of shops/ownership every 13-14 months. The insurance underwriter basically subsidizes his retail operation.

The best way I learned to run a server, although I only consider myself to be "good to very good" at it, was to get a dedicated box and work with my host to slowly show me how to manage as much of it as possible over the course of time. It took me about 9-10 months at first (back in 2004 on a Win2K box), but I got it and can do most things. Mind you, I take the odd route to do everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads