Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm writing a tutorial in response to a lot of the...well, let's be honest...useless posts that people come up with in response to legitimate, intelligent questions. Please read this tutorial before you make comments, or if you know someone that should read this tutorial after saying something stupid, please refer them to this post.

While this post was written for WDF purposes, it can apply to any forum in which posttwits have been known to show up.

So what is a posttwit, anyway?

A posttwit is someone who responds to a question or a forum topic without having read the posts in the topic in their entirety and/or someone who chooses to insert a statement or comment into the thread that accomplishes nothing whatsoever. Posttwits often restrict their replies to one or two lines in an attempt to minimize the opportunities for intelligent forum members to destroy their credibility and expose their disturbing lack of knowledge of various forum topics.

This word may be used freely in any discussion forum...just give me credit for it, because I made it up. At least I think I did.

The 10 Commandments of Posttwit Avoidance:

1. Read all of the posts in a thread in their entirety to ensure that the question was not already answered, that you're not duplicating someone else's advice, and that you can add something useful and constructive (or at least really funny...laughter's always good).
    2. Avoid generic advice unless the situation calls for it. If the situation calls for generic advice, explain why you are not giving specific advice on a topic.
    3. Do not copy/paste things you've seen/read on other sites. Smart forum posters will recognize these immediately.
    4. Don't claim you're from a country or location that you're not really from. Forum mods can see IP addresses and resolve them to a country, and in many cases a city.
    5. Don't claim you're from "USA". No American ever says they're from "USA". I'm Canadian, and even I know that.
    6. Don't bump a thread unless you have something new or relevant that will change the context of the thread and offer a new insight into the topic.
    7. Don't include links in your first few posts unless you're indicating that the link is not yours and that you're interested in it in a specific context. Forums generally have signatures and rules for allowing said signatures; consult each forum individually to find out how you can earn yours (here at WDF, you get one after 25 posts).
    8. If a web design forum contains an SEO section, don't post exclusively in that section. Most real designers know more than just SEO stuff (if they even know anything about SEO-related topics at all).
    9. Don't capitalize words that don't require capitalization. Telling us that your company does Web Designing, Graphic Designing, Business Cards, Logo Designing, Search Engine Optimization, Social Media Optimization, etc. makes you look like a complete tool.
    10. Don't reference things that don't exist or that are obviously shady and unethical...like off-page SEO, pay per post, and anything that you have to be told is ethical.

These are your new 10 commandments.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 210982
    I'm writing a tutorial in response to a lot of the...well, let's be honest...useless posts that people come up with in response to legitimate, intelligent questions. Please read this tutorial before you make comments, or if you know someone that should read this tutorial after saying something stupid, please refer them to this post.

While this post was written for WDF purposes, it can apply to any forum in which posttwits have been known to show up.

So what is a posttwit, anyway?
    Maybe something close to this...

Seriously - thank you SO MUCH for posting this - you have said what I have been thinking for quite some time now.

If you feel that the video takes away from the seriousness of your post (and it is to be taken seriously, I sincerely hope), then delete it with my blessing,
    George Dolidze and Wired like this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Monty Python has a sketch for every situation.
    That being said, thank you, TG, 'cause it does look like more than a usual number of posttwits are around...

Also:
    Don't claim you're from "USA". No American ever says they're from "USA". I'm Canadian, and even I know that.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    But George...there's a difference between a patriotic chant and stating it as one's residence.

Mare: no probs. The post is serious, but again...replying with a sense of humor is alll good. And yeah, this has been bugging me for quite a while as well.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Yup. I've been noticing a whole bunch of posttwits!

Edit: did I make a good "posttwit" imitation?
    lol

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    In my opinion,

Everything in the 10 commandments part of the original post, should be included in the rules of the forum, if not already there.

****:

I just realized I is one!!!!! I sin of #9 frequently!
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by LeenkzMike, post: 211328
    In my opinion,

Everything in the 10 commandments part of the original post, should be included in the rules of the forum, if not already there.

****:

I just realized I is one!!!!! I sin of #9 frequently!
    You shall be smitten.
    LeenkzMike likes this.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yup. You're gonna get all smited up for that one.

Remove Ads