Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Yes, we all know Iphone does not display flash but It will display a big 'ole blank spot where the flash would have been. That is ugly. I use flash sparingly on all of my sites and usually only in the banners. So a big 'ole blank spot can be bad when the banner containing the company name, logo, and phone number is not visible.

A work-around I have discovered is to wrap my flash code with a stylized div which include a static image of the banner. For example my flash code would look like this:
    <div align="left" style="background-image:url(images/non-flash.png);background-repeat:no-repeat; width:300px;height:200px;">
    <script type="text/javascript">
    AC_FL_RunContent( 'codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/s...#39;Metropolis Chamber of Commerce','src','/flash/index1','quality','high','pluginspage','http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...;/flash/index1' ); //end AC code
    </script><noscript><object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/s...rsion=9,0,28,0" width="300" height="200" title="Metropolis Chamber of Commerce">
    <param name="movie" value="/flash/index1.swf" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <embed src="/flash/index1.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="200"></embed>
    </object></noscript>
    </div>
    If you want to test it on an I-phone, visit: http://www.metropolischamber.com/ .. the static portion is the Superman Logo on the right.
    Shirley Lund
    www.LundandLund.net
    Next Door Service Around the World

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not bad. I'd test it myself, but friends don't let friends buy Apple products.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    nice...

I use asp to detect the installed plugins ( like flash )... and either show... or no show... or replace with image...

[COLOR=rgb(128, 0, 0)] if scriptEngineMajorVersion > 1 then [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(128, 0, 0)] on error resume next [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(128, 0, 0)] FIn=(IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.Shockwa veFlash"))) [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(128, 0, 0)] if FIn then [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(128, 0, 0)] strEmbed="code to embed flash object"[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(128, 0, 0)] else [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(128, 0, 0)]strShow="code to show alt image... or nothing" [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(128, 0, 0)] end if [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(128, 0, 0)]
    [/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 212257
    Not bad. I'd test it myself, but friends don't let friends buy Apple products.
    In most cases, I'd agree with you, but the iPhone is pretty bitchin'
    DanExcell likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    you can just use a <video></video> tag and add a .MP4 file (convert the flash movie to a .mp4 format).
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 212688
    In most cases, I'd agree with you, but the iPhone is pretty bitchin'
    My HTC Inspire 4G is better than any iPhone :P

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 215423
    My HTC Inspire 4G is better than any iPhone
    You are probably right, but look how long it took for them to break the market. During that dormant stage the iPhone laid siege to the market. Even if they are not #1 anymore, they cleaned house for a good while. And I don't even like it. I use my wife's to test sites and that is it.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    264 times
    Heres a good couple of reads for you all. Its not just the iPhone that doesn't support flash, its the whole of apple enterprise and I agree with them.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3093485?start=0&tstart=0

Tonza made a very good explanation of why apple dont support flash, he said:

"[COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]The reason for why Flash is not incorporated into iOS has been deliberated by engineers for over 4 years now. The reason is simply this: Flash is a run-time engine for drawing vector (mathematically/computationally intensive) graphics, and it does this in a device-independent manner to the benefit of a JavaScript-ish runtime called ActionScript. Not a very fast architecture![/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]The problem is that Flash poses many layers of abstraction that saps so much CPU power in order for it to get its work done, and hence, it is not a very efficient drawing architecture. The goal of Flash is device-independent drawing... the goal of iOS is efficient power consumption and performance on low-power devices. That is, the two have mutually exclusive target goals, and one cannot co-exist without substantial costs to the other.
    Being Apple, they opted for their own goals. So, would you rather have an iPad that runs for 10 hours on a charge, or run Flash on your iPad for maybe a couple of hours? Once you have made that decision, you can go buy the gadget you want.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]The same case goes for why Java never got ported to iOS."[/COLOR]

Also flash is very buggy which doesn't help.

The good news is everyone is (slowly but surly) converting to jQuery which is more efficient than flash:
    http://www.insivia.com/is-jquery-taking-over-flash/

html 5 integration is also being used for sites like Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/html5) as they have realised that Apple will never integrate the likes of flash into their systems.

And i tell you what. Good for apple, flash is a pain in the butt the best of times. I'm for them changing the mould if it were.

And im not saying this because im getting a mac book pro in the next month or so.......maybe it is a little.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Here's a much more concise explanation:

Outside of Youtube, which is bleeding money dry, Flash SUCKS.

As much as I have never liked any Apple product I've ever used, I have to agree with them on this. Flash (much as Java did before) requires a plugin, runs heavily, and sucks up CPU resource as Tonza pointed out. I try to avoid it like the plague myself.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    264 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 215512
    Here's a much more concise explanation:

Outside of Youtube, which is bleeding money dry, Flash SUCKS.

As much as I have never liked any Apple product I've ever used, I have to agree with them on this. Flash (much as Java did before) requires a plugin, runs heavily, and sucks up CPU resource as Tonza pointed out. I try to avoid it like the plague myself.
    Ditto. I refuse to design fully flash websites as its just unproductive and your instantly stumping part of the possible clientèle to the site
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads