Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cloud Computing

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 213860
    I disable VeriFace because it's stupid
    lol it's overkill, that's what it is. What if you get a cut on your finger, does the scanner still recognize it?
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 213849
    tapes ??? really... I thought those POS's were dead... I moved to portable HD's years ago... guy picks them up every monday ( that is my company BACKUP system )...
    IBM still sells them. I don't know why they do, other than because they know there are a bunch of old sucker customers (government agencies and whatnot) that are still stupid enough to buy them.

Two of my clients have a similar backup system to yours, except probably not with the same volume of hard drives. Their systems use 2 drives.

Drive 1: backed up Friday at around 4:00 PM, taken to bank by accounting along with checks and stuff, put in safe deposit box. Drive 2 is taken out at this point.
    Drive 2: backed up the following Friday at around 4:00 PM, taken to bank by accounting along with checks and stuff, put in safe deposit box, swapped with drive 1.

Of course, this isn't their only form of redundancy, but it's a great, relatively inexpensive way to use resources that they're already paying for. The entire backup process cost them $200 each ($100 for each drive). Unlike tapes, you only have to worry about a hard drive possibly dying...you don't have to worry about the drive (and with those IBM servers, that's a HUGE freakin' problem.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    VeriFace only scans the eye area...not your fingers. The fingerprint scanner is what scans your fingerprint. But I've "enrolled" all fingers on my right hand so It doesn't matter if I get a cut or something, (which never happens because I hardly do anything outside of the house)...

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 213872
    VeriFace only scans the eye area...not your fingers. The fingerprint scanner is what scans your fingerprint. But I've "enrolled" all fingers on my right hand so It doesn't matter if I get a cut or something, (which never happens because I hardly do anything outside of the house)...
    Yeah, I meant the fingerprint scanner

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Just 1 small part of a backup strategy is restoring data from whatever medium you use...

At one time my company had several hundred tapes in the cycle... Randomly we tried restoring from tape... Just to test... 1 of 3 tapes failed ... Gradually replaced over a year cycle... Iron mountain doesn't care what you send them... So...

Shortly after replacing everything... Had a server lose 3 or 5 scsi raid drives... Controller failed...

Called for previous months full backup drives... Previous weeks full backup... And pulled incrementals from local storage... Had server up in 4 hours... Only lost 4 files... None business critical...

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 213846
    Side note: I used to have a great method for passwords that let me have a different password for every site and only required me to remember one combination of six items (basically a make-your-own-hash-on-the-fly thing) - but since more and more sites are requiring special characters, numerals, and capital letters my method no longer works. So now I keep all my passwords in a folder called (well, I won't say what but it's NOT called passwords!) on a flash drive and keep it in an easily accessible location outside the house.
    Keepass + Dropbox + Keepass mobile app (all free) = passwords secure and accessible anywhere.

Webazarus: Tapes are far from dead. Really depends on the backup schema and the # of servers. 100+ @ work Funny thing you mentioned EMC. Just had a meeting with them yesterday about their new lineup. Both them and Compellant are going towards floating data storage (data being moved around between various speed storage devices on the fly so that the right data's accessed as fast as possible when you need it).

TrueCrypt's definitely a nice (and free) tool as well.

Iron Mountain can test tapes for you IIRC, but of course that's an extra cost. At least you test your tapes, most don't. Used to work at a company where we'd export / import tapes every business day. Somewhere between 10-20 a day. Started going through new tapes quite often. Something got screwed up with the backup schema and we stopped getting tapes back from offsite. We had to have Iron Mountain deliver ALL of our tapes back so it could be figured out. Man that was a lot of blue boxes and tapes lol!

shovenose: My mom's laptop has facial recognition... beat it using a photo Consumer grade fingerprint readers can also be beaten somewhat easily as well (at least on consumer doors, haven't read about any tests on swipe sensors on laptops).
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Haha how can you beat a fingerprint thing? I'll test it out if you tell me how!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Hahaha well here I go thinking my laptop was secure :P and it's so shiny, my fingerprints are all over it now :-( oh well whatever :P

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Passwords are old-fashioned, but they're there for a reason

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads