Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cloud Computing

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Cloud computing is the way of the future, regardless if the general public likes it or not (and many will). It has been on it's way for quite some time and now the heavyweights are pushing it even harder. Google +1 is an effort to entice more people into Google Apps. Microsoft's "Live" and new Office 365 is their foot in the door.

The concept of someone else taking care of everything has mass appeal. This will prompt a whole new market direction in home computing, pumping up the market on net books and minis. The average household can spend less than $300 on a machine that will simply give them internet access and not require 3 TB of storage, along with another big chunk of change for various office applications. It's a no-brainer. Well, almost...

We have already seen some serious losses taken at the hands of these cloud monsters.

What all of us that live outside of cyberspace need to remember is that we cannot fully depend on cloud technology. As with all computer data, there is something called "local backup" that will save us all from the clouds.

I am amused that the term "cloud" is being used. What happens when you put anything on a nimbus or cirrus cloud?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    George Dolidze likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I refuse to accept "cloud computing" as the way of the future any time soon for two reasons: control and privacy.

People (especially people like me) want to know as much as possible about where and how their data is stored and want full control over those elements when it is reasonable to do so.

People also won't want to upload confidential or private information to a public server that they don't control. You'll have to kill me before I put confidential client docs, NDAs, or anything else on something I don't control, and I know I'm not the only one.

It may happen down the road at some point, but it won't be for at least 5-10 years. There's simply too much that can go wrong.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The "cloud" is actually a very old concept that some marketing chaps have gotten ahold of and are beating people about the head with it... The "cloud" just means your information or data is stored across multiple machines to spread the resources across multiple points creating less chance of complete and total loss... as properly constructed "clouds" are similar to RAID arrays... lose one... your data can be reconstructed from the remaining...

SAN ( storage area network ) and NAS ( network accessible storage ) were the pre-cursors to "the cloud" but are the same principle...as well as server clustering across networks...

Many big companies are using or considering it because the cost of storage and maintenance is cheaper... and since everything is "usually" encrypted... and transmitted and stored in a hashed container ( minimum 256 enc )...most data storage is safe... but the COLUD has really taken off since GOVT. requires "offsite" storage for backup for compliance of SOX, HIPPA... and a bunch of other letters from the alphabet.

Me personally... no cloud... no way... I have multiple TB portable drives that hold all the important stuff... stored in a firesafe... I image those drives every 6 months... and drop them off with a family member in another part of the state... and they put it in their firesafe...

I want to know where my clients data is at all times.... But that's just me...

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Offsite storage for backup has nothing to do with "the cloud". Can it? Sure, but people have been storing data offsite for years, either in a colo ("private cloud"), or on tape in a secure facility (Iron Mountain), or just at some dude's house.

"The cloud" is just the internet. When you're working on a network diagram and you need to reference the internet - you draw a cloud

Also, just because you have data in "the cloud" doesn't mean it's stored redundantly. Also, even data stored redundantly can be lost without the redundant part failing (logical failure, e.g. a LUN dying).

There's certainly good reasons for using the cloud, e.g. cloud computing (aka distributed computing), or ... web hosting
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 213842
    Me personally... no cloud... no way... I have multiple TB portable drives that hold all the important stuff... stored in a firesafe... I image those drives every 6 months... and drop them off with a family member in another part of the state... and they put it in their firesafe...

I want to know where my clients data is at all times.... But that's just me...
    Totally agree - I keep all my sited zipped and on an external 2TB HD - don't have it in a Firesafe - but maybe I should get it offsite - I think I'll dupe it and ask my programmer if she'll keep one of them for me.

Side note: I used to have a great method for passwords that let me have a different password for every site and only required me to remember one combination of six items (basically a make-your-own-hash-on-the-fly thing) - but since more and more sites are requiring special characters, numerals, and capital letters my method no longer works. So now I keep all my passwords in a folder called (well, I won't say what but it's NOT called passwords!) on a flash drive and keep it in an easily accessible location outside the house.

People think I'm paranoid, and maybe I am, but that's a label I'll willingly wear if it means I don't lose (or inadvertently share) any important data.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    sssshhhhh... don't tell IBM that carbonite is not cloud based storage... better not tell carbonite either... "at least their business class storage"... probably shouldn't tell EMC either as this multi-millior dollar company promotes itself as a "cloud based" off-site storage solution...

tapes ??? really... I thought those POS's were dead... I moved to portable HD's years ago... guy picks them up every monday ( that is my company BACKUP system )...

we considered EMC... but their equipment cost to setup everything was way out of budget range...

AM... you should look up TrueCrypt... I use it on all USB flash sticks... and portable drives... creates an encrypted container... you must know the password just to load it... for the really paranoid... you can create HIDDEN containers inside the main container... with different passwords.

Any PC that contains client information... is also encrypted with this... Requires the password just to boot... even if you move the HD to another PC... Or try to slave it in somewhere... you'll still need to have the password to access the HD...( keep a recovery disk for each PC that you encrypt though )... only way you'll get your data back if the HD fails for some reason...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    My lenovo laptop has a fingerprint reader, VeriFace (face scanning via the webcam), a password, and a password is requires to use any USB device. Now that's what i call security!

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 213855
    My lenovo laptop has a fingerprint reader, VeriFace (face scanning via the webcam), a password, and a password is requires to use any USB device. Now that's what i call security!
    Doesn't that make the boot up time like 30 minutes? That's too much security
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    I disable VeriFace because it's stupid

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads