Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    I can only web design majors(that specifically state they are web design majors) in expensive technical schools like DeVry and ITT tech. They're expensive as all hell, and I don't even know if they are worth the money.

As for state universities: I can only find majors such as 'computer science' and something along the lines of IT.
    My question is: If i go to a state college, can I just focus on web design/dev somehow? I know it's a part of comp sci, but I don't want to learn the rest of the bologna that goes along with comp sci.
    My freelancer website: DolidzeDesign

You only need a parachute if you plan on skydiving twice.

Member #
    Liked
    264 times
    I never learnt web design at a college or university.... Yes you can get qualifications at the end but I personally find experience is what employers are looking for.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Yeap.. I'm working on that too
    m3n0tu18 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    A good portfolio is gonna go a lot farther than and certification or degree you might get, in landing possibly a full time position with a decent company...

I don't want to assume what your end goal here is, but I have interviewed many "aspiring" web designers that have graduated from major colleges in graphic design, had some web development courses, etc... and even a few that have taken the "certification" route...

I'm sure there are some good courses out there... but I've yet to see any graduates out there that are worth more than an interns salary... as I or someone on my team would have to teach them just about everything... and un-teach them some "mis-conceptions"... they learned...

Not to say that a degree would not be beneficial in your quest... but the trend I've been seeing over the last few years... is big companies are looking for diversified talent... a business degree would show that you have a good grasp on the BIG picture of business... while design skills would show potential employers that you could benefit them in more than 1 aspect of the business...

I've seen so many HR people also being tasked with IT duties ( small corporations )... as HR and compliance go hand in hand...

as for the bologna that goes along with the rest of comp science... That's my bread and butter theses days.... I make more from a "network security" consultation... than I do from developing a web site.... but then again... I didn't go to school for that either... just kind of fell in my lap... interested me... spent a lot of time learning... ( still learning )...

Member #
    Liked
    416 times
    Thanks for the informative reply. I'm working up to hopefully being a freelancer, but of course, if that doesn't work out, I will have to adapt to something other.
    I'll work on building my portfolio eventually, although I have yet to find out how...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    freelancing is great... and has it's good points... I actually started out with those same aspirations... but eventually landed a position in the same company I was working for at the time.. doing INTRANET stuff.... so they actually paid me to learn... of course there were many, many, many hours of learning and trying things on my own... at home... on my time...

started doing sites independently, but it took a really long time to get where I could make a decent living at it... and by then I was doing corporate design and started on server design, management, applications development, infrastructure management...etc... pretty much all the "cast off" jobs that no one had time for... or felt was too much for their pay grade....

About 7 years ago... I was doing a web site layout mock up for a potential client and he started asking me if I knew anything about network security as his current IT provider was charging him and arm and a leg and he wasn't sure if he was actually protected...so for the next 2 years I spent all my free time... studying and learning anything and everything I could about network security principles, monitoring, pen testing, etc... 5 years down the road...

I still am involved in web design ( not as much as I would like to be )... I don't even have a profile available online anymore... just not enough time in the day...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Interesting replies from others so far. I'm going to pay attention to this thread because it's interesting. As far as having a portfolio, is it helpful for future clients?

Member #
    Liked
    264 times
    yea its a very good idea having a portfolio...remember potential clients will want to see your work and decide whether your a risk or not..(that is if you design crappy sites that are badly coded etc you may not get work.) I have not that many clients as my company has just gone into partnership with my best mate so we're working on a portfolio... i have luckily got a sub contract with a professional printing company. So money (SHOULD) come in... and its big cash, like 1500 to 3000 a site.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Webzarus is dead right. I personally have no degrees or certifications other than a joke one from Microsoft, and no one cares. There are enough people that care about my experience and whether or not I can solve their stuff.

The funny thing is that the more I consciously avoid walking on the treadmill most of my colleagues and friends have (go to university, create a resume, create a cover letter, apply to jobs on all the job sites, give generic interview answers), the easier I find it to find clients who want to work with me. I have done pretty much the dead opposite of what everyone else did and I haven't had to spend a dime on advertising myself in the last 8 years. I'm just...well, me. And because I'm me, I really don't have any competition as such for the things I do (some of which overlap with what Webzarus does.)

I freakin' crack up when I hear some of the things people say about web design, or even jobs in general:

I can't find a job.
    I did what the guy in the employment office said and no one will even give me an interview.
    Why can't I get decent work?
    I'm waiting for a call back from so and so, and then I should have work.

Well no freakin' wonder some of you have such a hard time "finding work"! You think it's a divine birthright for someone to hire you, and you don't even bother to try and figure out what it would take to create a situation whereby hiring you represents a positive for your prospective employer. You do nothing to distinguish yourselves on top of that.

So that's your key...whatever you do, do it differently, do it well, and make sure that you keep your prospective employers' point of view in mind and work toward that. If you can do those things, you'll have little to no trouble finding work, and more importantly being a useful member of society.
    AlphaMare and George Dolidze like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Hey everyone how are ya, new user here. I was looking for a forum dedicated to the discussion of Web Design and here we have that sort of thing on the internet, imagine that. So in response to the current topic, in particular to George's concerns about web design degrees I'll relay this information. I currently attend Devry university where I'm majoring in Web/Multimedia Design and Development. Now I've been in these classes for the last 14 months now and I can tell you that we've spent more time studying principles and best practices and less time actually learning our way around industry standard applications such as Adobe's family of products. Now with that being said, it's all fine and good if you can explain how to adhere to the contiguity principle for eLearning materials. But if you don't possess the skills to arrange text in close proximity to an image than knowing that principle is useless. Devry, from my experience has been more focused on teaching web design from a theoretical point of view rather than on hands-on. About 90% of my current skills have been learned through additional books and tutorials on the net. With that being said, I am looking into different colleges because I do doubt the strength of Devry's education as it pertains to Web Design, and yes it is much too costly to be gambling with. Everyone in this discussion seems to be in agreement that experience is what gets you noticed. While I mostly agree with this, I do feel its important to be able to justify decisions made concerning any kind of web related project. Hope this sheds some light.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads