Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi,

I am well down the road on a concept for a community-based web application I would like to have designed and developed. I've created a wire frame mock-up (using mockflow) and am documenting data sources for look-ups, jquery auto-fill fields and reference sites for elements needed. I'm not yet sure of the framework I'll need, but it appears that Ruby on Rails might be the best option. I am getting close to the point where I would to find a designer to work with. My question is how to best structure a request for proposal so that the designer has the most clear understanding of the project. Also, am I better off looking for a designer only, or someone who can deliver the HTML and CSS as well. Any guidance would be helpful. Thank you!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I couldn't really tell you how to structure the proposal, but I can tell you this: Go with a web designer...In other words, one that knows, at the very least, HTML and CSS. Javascript knowledge would be helpful as well, depending on your project. It also couldn't hurt to find someone who is at least acquainted with ROR.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 218301
    I couldn't really tell you how to structure the proposal, but I can tell you this: Go with a web designer...In other words, one that knows, at the very least, HTML and CSS. Javascript knowledge would be helpful as well, depending on your project. It also couldn't hurt to find someone who is at least acquainted with ROR.
    Thank you for the guidance Ronald!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If you have gotten to the point that you have selected ruby, you are well ahead of the game.

I'd suggest a general proposal looking for a developer with ruby experience that also has a usability experience. If they understand the usability aspect of your project, it will be much easier to tie in a good design with it.

Most developers are very proud of the products and projects they have worked on and will go on and on about the overall project and or their contributions to the project.

If you look for just a designer, you'll get all kinds of enquiries from people that want to learn on your dime. The more specific you are ( say 2-3 years developing in Ruby ), the less you'll have to weed through to find the right person. Be willing to pay for the experience and expertise, or you'll likely end up letting some learn, while youre paying them...'that is usually a recipe for a very long project timeline with a lot of rethinking

Remove Ads