Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    So I got me self some web space from my IP
    Got me self a FTP (firefox FTP)

Done a silly little test page.

Ive uploaded that to my FTP in the htdocs folder.
    My test page is called test.html
    I put that at the end of my web page url but yet I get an error page when I try and view it.
    I know I am doing something so silly but what?

My web page is this: http://www.jono2101.webspace.virginmedia.com/

So surely the address should be this: http://www.jono2101.webspace.virginmedia.com/test.html

Could anyone here tell me what I am doing wrong?

Also sorry if I have put this thread in the wrong place.
    This is my first post here so feel free to move it if its not in the right place.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Error 404, page not found is the generic error when a server cannot find a specific resource.

Since you're new to this and this provider, perhaps they have some support documentation to assist you.

According to what you have provided, assuming that you are suppose to put your files in the htdocs folder, then it should be working.

Not a whole lot more we can tell you as every hosting provider is different.

You could just put up a test.txt file and try to call that directly ( yes, you are calling it correctly ), if you can FTP to the file... Download a copy of what is the index.htm , make some changes and put it back ???

Member #
    I tried changing the page a little and re-doing it but still the same result.
    SO IDK I thought the same as you, that it should work.

The file BTW is just a text file. nothing fancy. In fact the only thing it says is "Testing and stuff" No images or any other links just that.
    Just wonted to see if it worked first be for I did anything moor time consuming.
    Should the web path be the url address you see in my first post or the IP address? Currently its the IP address.

Currently for that file the web path is: http://ftp.webspace.virginmedia.com/htdocs/test.html
    To me that should be my web page url not the IP address. So IDK if that's got anything to do with it.

Thanks for your reply BTW

PS, I am a completely new to this so your help is very much appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If this was just setup recently, it maybe a DNS issue. A new site setup sometimes takes 24-72 hours to work properly. So perhaps this is the issue.

If you received a setup email from your provider and they gave you a temp location for testing, then that is probably the issue.

Member #
    Ye its a new setup.
    But its been about that long now.

Thanks for trying anyway

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I'm seeing it now.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yup, me too, must have been a dns thing.

Member #
    Hi just to let you all know what it was. I had a few Email addresses and got a bit confused which one I should had been logging into my FTP client with :$ lol
    Had a talk with my IP and then maneged to figure out that I was actually using the wrong Email to long into my FTP with. And yea as you see it all good now :Y

Thanks for trying to help anyways

Ive bookmarked this place as it seems cool. So never know might see me again here XD

Remove Ads