Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi! I am needing some advice...I built a website that hosts hundres of images, I have come across another website, very similar to mine under a different name using all of the same images that I am.

Is it true that you can tell if images have been downloaded from one site and used on another by looking at the image URL and different characters (%, ?, ect..) in the file name?

For the most part all of the files names are the same except for these extra characters in the url.

Please help!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Watermark the images on your site. That's the easiest way.

If you don't want one that will take away from your pictures, DigiMarc for Images might be the way to go. It embeds a copyright notification into the image itself.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Depending on how and what program was used in image creation and or modification, there is sometime meta dat attached to the file.

Old versions of photoshop would put time and date created, logged on user credentials ( if you were logged onto a domain, original image size, etc. If you had the function turned on. It would keep and or update that meta data if you modified the file. Would also give you extra fields to add company name, location, etc.

This doesn't keep people from stealing and or using, but it goes a long way to proving original ownership when you file a DMCA request to the violative hosting provider.

A visual watermark of some sort almost always deters, but can detract from the image. Whenever needed, again depending on your image software... Even a simple copyright notice or the site name in text, white color or black ( depending on the images predominant bk color ),set the transparency level of the text to about 5-6%, visible enough that if the user looks hard enough they see a distortion, keep the originals to prove they are your images.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Damn. Forgot to mention the DMCA. Good call!
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Steganography.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    I have asked the same question and received many different responses. The one thing that I gather in stopping people from stealing images is that there is no fool proof way to do this. However, one thing I know about people like this is that they are opportunistic to the end. If an objective is made difficult enough to do, these people will look elsewhere to achieve their goals, in this case steal images. With that said, another option you have here and again it is not foolproof, is disabling the right click save image as.. option through JavaScript. So watermark your images, digimark them, bloodmark them if you so desire. The more difficult it is to do something is the less it becomes worth the effort.

http://rainbow.arch.scriptmania.com/...ght_click.html

Now you got me going on this because I'm all about copyrighted material and anti-theft of someone else's hard work. Here's another link which offers some tips and techniques for protecting your images.

http://www.naturefocused.com/article...rotection.html

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Actually there are many scripts that you can use to protect your images, people that steal images don't do it one at a time so the no right click is not going to do anything for them.

They use site scrapers and or off-line site downloaders to pull a copy of the entire site.

A big thing a few years ago, was because bandwidth was no cheap, people would just hot link to images and the someone else pay for the bandwidth of serving them. Most hosting providers now have an option to keep that from happening.

Another option would be to load the images into a DB, call them as a binary file to load in the pages, turn off caching, and they are not saved in a users temp files, and they cannot call the images directly, they can only be called by pages that have the db code.

Remove Ads